NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Using DAT-Drives with NEXTSTEP 3.3?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jenne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Using DAT-Drives with NEXTSTEP 3.3? Reply with quote

While working on my Black Beauties I thought about what external hardware could be used with those machines. As long as most of the "regular" SCSI dependend hardware seems to work fine with NeXT-machines and NEXSTEP 3.3 I began to wonder if even DAT-drives could be used with those systems.

I just got myself a little external tower, containing a standard SCSI CD-ROM drive and a Sony DAT DDS-3 drive for less than a single Dollar (lucky again I suppose...). I would like to know if this DAT-drive could be used within NEXTSTEP as a backup storage device or something like that.

Now, does anybody in here has any experience with this? Things like jumper settings, compatibility, disktab entries and so on? Does anybody actually use a DAT-drive with a NeXT-System?

Thanks in advance once again!

J

P.S.: along with this topic I'm looking for an application called "SafetyNet.app". Does anybody knows it?
emond

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I use Hewlett-Packard SureStore DAT24 with NeXT Cube (68030 and 68040). And it work fine, under NeXTStep 1 and 2.1 and 3.3 ;)

This HP DAT is a DDS3 4mm 125m 24/12 GB on tape, and a transfer rate of 7.2 GB/hr in compressed mode.

I use mt and tar command for drive the DAT.
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, emond.

Are there any possibilities to get a DAT drive visibly mounted into the NS 3.3 OS with some kind of software like Retrospect (wasn't this one once compiled for NS, too?)? Messing around in the terminal is not one of my favourite ways...

J
emond

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I don't use frontend software (like Retrospect), but only tar and mt command's (in terminal mode)...

Look here :
http://www.silicium.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16056&sid=8d8b7344f0cdeca329e9211ccdb074bf

Sorry but in french only...

JB
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenne wrote:

Are there any possibilities to get a DAT drive visibly mounted into the NS 3.3 OS

Mounting? Its something like "Tapeworm" for the Amiga wich creates a filesystem on Tape and lets mount it.
If you only need a usefuell GUI you should google about "SafetyNet"
http://www.blackholeinc.com/catalog/software/Software/Network/SafetyNet.shtml

I'm using this with a HP DAT drive
Jenne

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've already noticed SafetyNet but I'm not very affiliated with BlackHole - for several reasons.
I've been using Retrospect within A/UX and that DDS-3 DAT drive already, therefor I think it will have to work somehow in NeXTstep, too, but spending that much money to SafetyNet from BlackHole doesn't make too much sense to me. Just "lost" quite a bunch of bucks for a Twentieth Anniversary Mac ;)

J

P.S.: there has been a cotrol panel for Mac OS , too that could "mount" a tape drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: