NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
iPhone may not be available until the end of June
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eastern Dragon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: iPhone may not be available until the end of June Reply with quote

Insiders at the Company manufacturing the Apple iPhone claim that quality problems are causing concen to the extent that the iphone may be delayed past June 11th 2007.

According to BusinessWeek in the USA various iPhone suppliers have been told that the iPhone may not be available until the end of June

Scheduled for release on June 11 2007 it is expected that only limited numbers of the phone will be available. It appears that the last thing Apple wants is quality problems with their phone. Apple staff have been told that the launch of the iPhone will be a lot tougher than the launch of the iPod. A memo to Apple staff is reported to have claimed that several manufacturers are in a position to hurt Apple if the iPhone has quality problems.

Refer to iPhone blog.
helf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the looks of the iPhone and some of its functions... but the fact Apple won't let 3rd party software onto it and its not even 3G kinda ruins it Sad
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a rule of thumb I try to stay away from first run versions of Apple hardware. It seems there's always something cheaper and more powerful just around the corner with Apple. So far, the iPhone isn't something I would pay top dollar for just to be an early adopter. I agree with your comment of it not even being 3g. I say if the bun needs more time in the oven so be it. We all know about "beta" testing MS products...

The only new release Apple product I'm jonsing for is an updated iMac. I'm jumping on that the first day it's released.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cell without a user replaceable battery seems like a huge mistake, especially if they can not optimize the power usage to get more than a few hours of use out of it. The interface and usability looks really good, as expected from Apple, but definitely a first gen product to stay away from as others have stated.

The Apple faithful will be lined up around the block for it when it releases, so we will have lots of other people to "beta" test it for us.

Chef
da9000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the battery Chef. I didn't know it wasn't replacable! That scares me, as a consumer.
helf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My treo 600 does not have a user replacable battery. And it has just now become an issue since the cell is going bad. discharging faster than normal. I didn't think it was such a bad idea until this started happening...

They really need to give the iPhone user replacable batteries. They realized it was dumb on the treos, and the 600 is the only one like that I think.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It scares me as well, especially with the 20 minute talk time they were getting out of the pre-release models people have seen so far. That was pre-production hardware, and it is hard to speculate further until the product has actually shipped.

If the iPhone is as popular as people are expecting, would it not cut into the iPod sales, or is this going to be the replacement for the iPod as it exists today?

Chef
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
My treo 600 does not have a user replacable battery. And it has just now become an issue since the cell is going bad. discharging faster than normal. I didn't think it was such a bad idea until this started happening...

They really need to give the iPhone user replacable batteries. They realized it was dumb on the treos, and the 600 is the only one like that I think.

Wow, I did not know the 600 did not have a user replaceable battery. I have never really used one extensively, I am a BlackBerry addict. Smile That makes Apples decision even more puzzling, as they surely would have seen the problem with the treos that you describe. Mabey they want you to consider it a disposable item, as they have with the iPod, and get a guaranteed upgrade every few years. Link it up with the standard 2 year cell contract plans, and the battery only has to last until the contract is up.

Chef
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The disposable product business model is lame. Especially for a company like Apple. How many people here feel any Apple product is disposable? How pissed were people with Apple when their iPod batteries were flaking out a few years ago? I know I was.

Replacing the "non replaceable" battery on my 10 GB 3g ipod would be easy compared to the iPhone. So many people are going to bust that display trying to open it.
nextchef

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately we live in a disposable world now. Kinda sad Sad

Look at how many iPods the average user has now, not even being used. I have friends that have four or five of the older models just sitting in a closet or on the shelf, because they had to have the next one that came out. It is not like the older ones could no longer play tunes, it just was not "the in thing" to have. IPods are more of a status symbol now, just like cellphones .... hmm .... so now I see Steve's plan ...

Chef
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Stevie J is a clever one no? I still rock my 3g for it's "street cred" and because it still works fine for being filled to the max. I've been asked a few times why I bought a knockoff ipod because it has independent touch buttons above the scroll wheel and no one knew ipods had several design stages before it's iconic status was secured. Still, I won't upgrade until it a) dies or b) the 6g wide screen appears.
helf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disposable is right.... It is very sad.

People upgrade everything just because something is 'new'... My neighbors have, literally, had a different new car sitting in their drive way every single month this year. Right now they have a new BMW and one of those 4 door Jeeps.

People and their 'status'... *sigh*

I only upgrade if theres a real need to Razz
urquidez

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helf wrote:
disposable is right.... It is very sad.

People upgrade everything just because something is 'new'... My neighbors have, literally, had a different new car sitting in their drive way every single month this year. Right now they have a new BMW and one of those 4 door Jeeps.

People and their 'status'... *sigh*

I only upgrade if theres a real need to Razz

Status is universal. Birds do it...bees do it, I know I'm guilty. But I agree that needless disposability for the sake of status is pretty shallow.
Nightengale

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

urquidez wrote:
We all know about "beta" testing MS products...

Well, I guess I could take this opportunity for a shameless post - I 've been beta testing MS starting with Windows '95 and I enjoy the process. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment Very Happy
da9000

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightengale wrote:
urquidez wrote:
We all know about "beta" testing MS products...

Well, I guess I could take this opportunity for a shameless post - I 've been beta testing MS starting with Windows '95 and I enjoy the process. I guess I'm just a glutton for punishment Very Happy

And you've not commited suicide???

Oh wait, the Golden Gate is in NorCal Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Apple Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: