NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Any success with networking with VMWare ???
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krfkeith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone actually knows how to network VMware Workstation in Windows with OPENSTEP could they please explain how to to me? I'm completely clueless! I'm writing a guide for installing OPENSTEP in VMware right now and I just need to finish up this one problem: networking. Once that's done my guide will be complete and everyone will be able to bask in the wonder of OPENSTEP in the free and wonderful VMware player!!!!
(sorry I get a little too excited sometimes!)
macguybrazil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Krfkeith, hi.

Just look here:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=787

copy your network information from your vmware virtual network. in my case is found it in DHCP-> VMNet ->properties

the router information is in NAT -> gateway ip

Im using NAT option to connect in vmware server.

Smile
PGHammer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Optionally.... Reply with quote

macguybrazil wrote:
Krfkeith, hi.

Just look here:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=787

copy your network information from your vmware virtual network. in my case is found it in DHCP-> VMNet ->properties

the router information is in NAT -> gateway ip

Im using NAT option to connect in vmware server.

Smile

Optionally, you can add the DHCP daemon (ported to NS 3.3) and follow the instructions included with it. I have it working just fine in VMWare 6 under (don't laugh) Vista Ultimate as a host. For Web browsing, I'm using OmniWeb 3.0 beta 6.

Why VMWare (and why 6 under Windows in particular)?

With VMWare 6, I actually have a very NeXT-like 1280x1024 @ 32-bit, very nice color desktop. (Naturally I had to adjust the VMMouse driver to match the desktop.)
rice0067

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: DHCP works under Fusion Reply with quote

I can second that the DHCP package works for NS under VMware fusion for mac os X..
slynce

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
I'm a novice in setting NextStep 3.3 in VMware WS (just two weeks since I built the appliance and still learning the basics "how-to"). At this stage I've got color screen, stable mouse, some apps installed -Omniweb and Nexus and now I'd like to set a working network (NAT connection with host) to browsee internet. I followed all the instructions from "TjLs-Cable-Modem..pdf" and read all the posts here, but still can't have the network working and have some issuses I can't understand and solve myself, so here are my questions:
1. When setting my network in Netinfo manager and have to enter domain name which data I enter? What do Netinfo manager mean by domain name - some internet address or the name of my adsl connection (I use adsl provided by Bulgarian National Company, via telephone cable to a wireless router at home and connect my computer to this router, so which data should I enter in InfoManager under "Value" string and where I can see it/read it on my computer)?
2. How to create resolve.config? I read that it can be done in edit.app where I have to use some key combination to remove .rtf extension, but can't make this key combination and can't remove .rtf extension. Can anyone hint me on how to create edit file without extension or some other way to create resolv.config (there must be some easy way to do so)
3. After one of my tries to set the network I succeded in a network from which could ping my router, but that was all and Omniweb couldn't browse the internet - so my question here is - after setting the network should I change some other settings to use the web browser to surf the Internet?
I would appreciate any suggestions, help and hints (pls screenshots if possible)!
Thanks in advance!
Empathy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what you use for domain name. You can use any name you like, like mynetwork.com.

For creating text files you could try to learn to use the vi editor, it takes like 15 minutes to become a decent vi user, it's harder then most other editors, but I think it's worth the effort, it comes in handy Smile.
slynce

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everybody!
I would like to report that I've just solved the problem with removing .rtf extension of the text file. The "TjLs...pdf" manual guides that control key+shift+R combination makes the tric and I just found out that in the modern qwerty keyboards "Alt" serves as a "control" key, so the correct combination for removing .trf extension from resolve text file is "Alt"+"Shift"+"R"
slynce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Empathy wrote:
It doesn't matter what you use for domain name. You can use any name you like, like mynetwork.com.

Emphaty, doest it have to be a real domain name?
I just checked the network I set up with nslookup and the result was
"can't find server name for the address"
The strange thing is the only IP I can ping is the one I put into the Host manager configuration; can't ping any web sites or other http's
The thing I cannot understand is where exactly to fill all the data from my vmware NAT configuration, when I fill in Host Manager in the NextStep 3.3.
Anyone can help? I will provide pics of my exact settings [/img]
slynce

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nextchef wrote:
Finally got it working. Killed all the netinfo stuff, and set it up for the third time, and now it works. I think netinfomanager was crashing, or not saving things properly before, so I explicitly saved every step along the way.

Chef

Chef, I've got the same problem here, hope you can help!
I installed NextStep 3.3 on a VMware 6.5 /workstation 6/ as "codepoetry" described it, resolved all patching and mouse-resolution issues using vmware drivers given by atomic and downloaded and installed some web-browsing software from this forum archives, so now as a result I've got well working NextStep 3.3 virtual machine. As I started connecting it to the Internet ( at home I use wireless router with Bulgarian Telephone Company's ADSL connection) I followed all the advice "TjLs...pdf" document gives, together with creating "resolv.conf" and registering my network details in Netinfo Manager/machines
The result is as you describe it above - I can ping the IP address I gave in HostManager.app, but when checking the network and connection of the virtual machine it says "can't find server name" for the IP address I gave. It also cannot ping any web site in the Internet.
I can see you wrote in your post (I quote above) that you killed all the NetInfo stuff and it did the trick, so please tell what exactly you meant by that? You killed 1.) the localhost data in NetInfo.app/machines
2.) you killed the broadcasthost data
3.) the newly-entered-after-following-the-steps-of-the-manual your host data
4.) or you killed all three together ?
I would be very grateful if you find some spare time to describe me this in details (cause -you know - I've got this virtual machine up and about for a week so far and still can't try nexus or spider woman browsers -it's like laying by the fully naked Miss Planet with your hands nadcuffed Wink
slynce

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just solved the connection problem (after a week struggle with VMware settings) and now am surfing the Internet happily with my OmniWeb 2 web browser, so this post was writtent and sent out of a VMware NextStep 3.3 machine.
I'd like to describe the changes I did to the settings in the NextStep HostManager configuration and some other little issues I experienced, so that everyone who has just installed NextStep 3.3 in VMware to be able to configure their Internet connection and browse the Internet Wink
What I did to connect my NextStep virtual machine via NAT connection is the following:
1. Following the advice from "TjLs...pdf" manual on how to connect the NextStep 3.3 machine to the Internet I created a file "resolv.conf " in /etc (directory). Creating it is easy - you just use edit.app, when "Untitled.rtf" window of the new text document appears you hit "Alt-Shift-R" key configuration to remove .rtf extension and after writing the info in it you save it "/etc/resolv.conf"
The information has to be written in it is JUST:
nameserver 192.168.X.2
(where the IP address is the one VMware gives to your NAT and it is permanent and X is the speciffic number VMware assignes to you when you first install VMware software on your host computer and it differs)
After writing this one line in the document Save it writing "/etc/resolv.conf" as a path and name for the file
2. In Host Manager I filled the following configuration :
Internet address - 192.168.X.210 (I read in the VMware help - "DHCP conventions for assigning IP address" that the IP range between 192.168.X.128 - 192.168.X.253 is DHCP assigned, which means the ones VMware gives to the guest OS - NextStep 3.3 in our case. tha last number "210" I picked in blind - it turned out a lucky guess)
Broadcats Address - 192.168.X.255
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Router - 192.168.X.2 (It turned out - after a week of trying, that the router IP in VMware configuration is the one Vmware workstation gives to your NAT as a Gateway IP and it doesn't change, it's permanent)
The name you chose as your Hostname doesn't matter. In my case I believe that it MUST be something inspirational, so I chose "bernerslee" Wink
As you are done with the Host Manager, don't hurry to reboot!
Go to NetInfo Manager.app and do the following:
1. Delete from /machines "localhost" directory with it's information
2. If you had created a directory with "your_new_host" information, following "TjLs...padf" manual advice - delete it too!!! It IS essential because in some way it messes with the VMware NAT configuration (Ican't expalin why, but I realised that this manual wasn't written to help you to set NAT connection in a VMware OS but to configure a connection between a real NextStep machine and your router, so part of it is not needed in our case)
So that's it! After rebooting the NextStep OS you've got the Internet!
The first thing I noticed, though was that when trying to reach my mail accounts my OmniWeb 2 failed to do so and wrote that was not able to resolve https'
Anyone know anything about it? ( I hope it's just this browsers issue and changing the browser will do the trick.)
Any hints here welcome!
andreas_g

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For VMWare Fusion users:

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2285
Thomas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slynce wrote:
The first thing I noticed, though was that when trying to reach my mail accounts my OmniWeb 2 failed to do so and wrote that was not able to resolve https'

Though https is around since 1994 the https standard used today was finalized in 2000, so it is not very likely that OmniWeb can resolve the code in it's current form.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slynce wrote:
nameserver 192.168.X.2
(where the IP address is the one VMware gives to your NAT and it is permanent and X is the speciffic number VMware assignes to you when you first install VMware software on your host computer and it differs)
After writing this one line in the document Save it writing "/etc/resolv.conf" as a path and name for the file
2. In Host Manager I filled the following configuration :
Internet address - 192.168.X.210 (I read in the VMware help - "DHCP conventions for assigning IP address" that the IP range between 192.168.X.128 - 192.168.X.253 is DHCP assigned, which means the ones VMware gives to the guest OS - NextStep 3.3 in our case. tha last number "210" I picked in blind - it turned out a lucky guess)
Broadcats Address - 192.168.X.255
Netmask - 255.255.255.0
Router - 192.168.X.2 (It turned out - after a week of trying, that the router IP in VMware configuration is the one Vmware workstation gives to your NAT as a Gateway IP and it doesn't change, it's permanent)
The name you chose as your Hostname doesn't matter. In my case I believe that it MUST be something inspirational, so I chose "bernerslee" Wink

Until here it was very helpful!

slynce wrote:
... As you are done with the Host Manager, don't hurry to reboot!
Go to NetInfo Manager.app and do the following:
1. Delete from /machines "localhost" directory with it's information
2. If you had created a directory with "your_new_host" information, following "TjLs...padf" manual advice - delete it too!!!

I also followed this advice and while I got internet access in the process - deleting those entries seriously messed up my system: the NetInfoManager and the UserManager would no longer function and those are the only Apps I have tested before I rolled my VM back to a Snapshot before the change. I assume there were more functions affected.
So I can not recommend to follow the above advice to delete the "localhost" directory in the HostManager!

In my second attempt I followed "TjLs-Cable-Modem-Howto-for-NeXTStep" strictly to the very end - with success.
I also got the internet to work this way in my VMware NeXTSTEP installation.
And the UserManager and the other system tools still work as the are supposed to.

But the real interesting question now is how to access my local network drive and folders on the host machine so I can easily transfer files from and to this NeXTSTEP installation.
Also access to my network printer (HP LaserJet 5000DN with JetDirect network card) would be nice - though I'm not sure if there are any drivers for it in NeXTSTEP.
aragon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Thomas: I usually transfer files between my NS3.3 vmware client and the XP host system via ftp.

Network printing should be possible, if your printer supports Postscript this should not be a problem, IMHO.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use a virtual ftp site on your host computer or a real one on the web?

Ideal would be a way to create CD ISO images from within the NeXTSTEP VM - is there something like that?

My HP LaserJet 5000 supports Postscript. I just need to find the right driver in NeXTSTEP.

This is how far I have my VMware installation of NeXTSTEP 3.3:

(the display resolution is WUXGA - 1920 x 1200)

An up-to-date web browser would be great though ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Emulation / Virtualization All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: