NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
What do You Use your NeXT for today?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jheis

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use my cube as my "main" work computer. I'm an attorney & I really only need WordPerfect and Improve. Oh yeah, with NXFax it's the only fax machine I've ever needed. I know how to use the old WP 1.0.1 (WP 5.1) & have set up macro's to automate most of my routine tasks. I like how it works (before the newer versions that try to mimic Word - ack, pittooe).

On the other hand, I've got a T-42 Thinkpad running Oracle UNB linux for my internet & email connection. Unfortunately, I find OpenOffice far too complicated & unintuitive to replace WP on my old NeXT, but it comes in handy when I have to translate a M$ document.

I've also got an old 390-E Thinkpad running Sun's orphaned JDS2 linux out in my garage system and an old Fujitsu Lifebook that somebody gave me loaded with Windoze 98 & WP 12 for those times when I ABSOLUTELY have to deal with a firm that only knows how to do M$ shit.

Much prefer OpenStep 4.2.

James

Last edited by jheis on Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:28 am; edited 2 times in total
da9000

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jheis wrote:
I still use my cube as my "main" work computer. I'm an attorney & I really only need WordPerfect and Improve. I know how to use the old WP 5.1 & have set up macro's to automate most of my routine tasks. I like how it works (before the newer versions that try to mimic Word - ack, pittooe).

On the other hand, I've got a T-42 Thinkpad running Oracle UNB linux for my internet & email connection. Unfortunately, I find OpenOffice far too complicated & unintuitive to replace WP on my old NeXT, but it comes in handy when I have to translate a M$ document.

I've also got an old 390-E Thinkpad running Sun's orphaned JDS2 linux out in my garage system and an old Fujitsu Lifebook that somebody gave me loaded with Windoze 98 & WP 12 for those times when I ABSOLUTELY have to deal with a firm that only knows how to do M$ shit.

Much prefer OpenStep 4.2.

James

James, you bring a tear to my eye! You're the first lawyer-type guy I can honestly say I admire Very Happy May you sue somebody (or rather some corporation) and strip'em clean :)

PS1. Fully agree on the comments about old WP and Open Office ( sucks, but it's too fugly because it's mimicking the WRONG software, while if they only looked at other packages like the venerable Claris or even Pages... )

PS2. Don't take the lawyer stuff offensively: I actually believe it's the biased, crooked and overcomplicated laws, as well as a general lack of common sense and as well as the unwritten laws and politics that are the biggest factors in corrupting otherwise decent lawyer-type people. No nature vs nurture, here. It's almost all nurture with lawyers. I might daresay with politicians too, although I'll hold off on that -- needs more thought :)

Cheers!
helf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so cool, James! I had not met anyone that used a NeXT as their main machine for work still Smile very nice.

I need a few more key pieces for my NeXT and I'll probably be using it for most of my stuff at home. I can already use it for just about everything.

I need to start buying a few more machines to put back in case mine dies eventually. I don't know what I'll do when black hardware is impossible ot ifnd in the future... *shudders*
NeXTsociety

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RacerX wrote:

While I by no means suggest that my work on this is as good as people who have been doing this for years, it does do a good job illustrating that just because software and/or hardware is old it doesn't mean that it isn't able to still do quality work. If it was able to do great things when it was new, there is nothing stopping it from doing the same today.

Rolling Eyes

... well, nothing other than the ability of the person using the system that is. Very Happy

Well said. So many uses for older technology.

tj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: