NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
CPU Qualification levels...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
helf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: CPU Qualification levels... Reply with quote

The serial code on my Turbo Mono slabs CPU is XC68040RC33E. My Color slab is XC68040RC25.

According to cpu-world.com, the prefix, XC means "Pilot production device".

Here is their ID Chart.

http://www.cpu-world.com/info/id/Motorola-identification.html#68020__68030__68040__68060__68881_and_68882

Any of you have MC68040xxxxx serials on your CPUs? the MC stands for "Fully qualified parts".

I'm just curious to know if NeXT used XC marked 040s for most of their machines. Were the 040s really new when they stuck them in NeXT's computers? I dunno much about the 68k history in that respect.

What about you with 030s, what are the serials on those?

I noticed this today when I took my NeXT apart. Just thought it was interesting Smile I hadn't read anything with regard to the cpu revisions used in the machines.
Nitro
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: CPU Qualification levels... Reply with quote

helf wrote:
I'm just curious to know if NeXT used XC marked 040s for most of their machines.

Most of the NeXT hardware Iíve seen had the XC prefix on the 040 CPUís. A few years ago I just missed getting a cube that NeXT let out the door with a 68040 sample CPU.

Notice that it has no XC or MC prefix and the word ďSampleĒ has been crossed out with a black marker. Itís interesting how NeXT let prototype stuff make it into production.
da9000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@helf:

If I recall correctly there was also another designation for prototypes, I think "PC", as in PC68040, although nothing is mentioned in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_68040

All my NeXTs have the XC designation, although I have some MC parts, but not in NeXT machines.

@Nitro:
That's an interesting story/photo there! Too bad it didn't fall on your lap Sad Who got it? Someone from these forums?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> Black Hardware All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: