NeXT Computers Forum Index NeXT Computers
www.NeXTComputers.org

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
NeXT MegaPixel LCD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
krfkeith

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: NeXT MegaPixel LCD Reply with quote

OK, first let me say I don't know anything about NeXT hardware. I am getting a NeXT station color from someone. I have no idea whether or not its ADB or non-ADB. My question is what would be a good LCD monitor to get for my station and how hard would it be to mount it inside of a broken MegaPixel monitor. Price is important as this is not my main computer so i cant go all out.

Thanks
Kevin
da9000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

if you search the forums (but not the "Work Logs" folder/sub-forum) you will find a list of LCD brands & models that various folks here have used with their NeXT boxes successfully (and also some of the caveats one has to know about).

As for the "how easy" or not it is to stick inside an older monitor, I think is a rather subjective question to ask, as some people can do it easily (handy), while others will have a much tougher time. I think it's fair ot say that since LCDs weren't meant to be retrofitted inside a NeXT monitor, it will be on the hard side. Start by searching the forums (I don't recall anyone doing it, but perhaps I missed a post or thread), and then taking measurements, especially of an empty NeXT monitor so you can see if there's any LCD that falls within the measured sizes/distances.

Good luck and if you indeed go ahead with the project, then please use Work Logs folder/sub-forum to showcase your project.
krfkeith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement!

I do not have an empty NeXT monitor yet, but am plainning on getting one. I just wanted to ask if anyone had a problem with me gutting a monitor. FYI, I will be taking a broken and/or severly scratched mono monitor and taking everything ou of it and attempt to put in an LCD screen and a external HDD or two.

Thanks
Kevin
da9000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if anyone has a problem, if it's *your* monitor, well then it's also *your* affair Smile Of course if it's a non-functional monitor, I really doubt anyone would think it wrong if you gutted it, especially if then went ahead and added an LCD screen into it. I think mostly everyone would be ecstatic to see such a mod take place Smile
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do gut a mono monitor, save the parts besides the tube, as some of them have the same board as the soundboxes.

Chef
krfkeith

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so save everything besides the CRT tube? I'll be willing to send anyone those parts for free if they just pay me shipping. If it doesn't work should I still do it?
nextchef

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

krfkeith wrote:
so save everything besides the CRT tube? I'll be willing to send anyone those parts for free if they just pay me shipping. If it doesn't work should I still do it?

Depending on the version of the monitor, it uses exactly the same interface board that is in the soundbox. With this board you can repair a broken soundbox, or potentially mock up your own. Dont know about the rest of the parts, but I am sure someone in here will take you up on the offer if they need them.

Chef
da9000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krfkeith wrote:

Yes, it's as nextchef said. I was assuming the monitor was gutted already, but like he said, parts can be reused sometimes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    NeXT Computers Forum Index -> New Technology All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: