Happy new owner of a NeXT N1000 Cube

Started by matthewmac66, September 07, 2007, 04:43:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matthewmac66

I'm very happy to have picked up one of these lovely bits of computing history on eBay today.

As a complete NeXT noob, I welcome any tips you might pass on....I'm guessing first will be how to bring back an aged case finish, and where I might find optical disks?

Thanks in advance, all.  I look forward to contributing to the forums

-Mac :D
"UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus." - Peter Coffin

Nitro

Congratulations on obtaining a NeXTcube. :)  There's a large number of knowledgeable NeXT folks who hang out here so I'm sure that someone can answer most of the questions you may have.  Please make yourself at home and welcome to the forums.
Nitro

helf

Welcome to the forums and congrats on buying one of the best computers ever made ;)
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

nextchef

Welcome, Welcome ..

So did you get a complete ready to run system, or just a cube?

Another convert to the "NeXT side"

Chef

Nightengale

Indeed welcome. Been hanging out here since 2004 (openstep.se) - it is a place for those who have passion for all things NeXT.
NeXT Turbo Color 4.2, HP Pavillion w/4.2,MacBook Pro, PPC G5 dual 2.7 10.5.8, Imac G4 20 inch

matthewmac66

Quote from: "Nightengale"Indeed welcome. Been hanging out here since 2004 (openstep.se) - it is a place for those who have passion for all things NeXT.

I'm looking forward to it!  8)
"UNIX is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus." - Peter Coffin

matthewmac66

Quote from: "helf"Welcome to the forums and congrats on buying one of the best computers ever made ;)

Thank you  8)  The other day, I was thinking back on all of the systems that I really enjoyed working with.  In addition to the Macs way back in the mid-1980's,  I later worked with a PowerMac 9500 along with a RISC-powered SGI Indy which I ran as a RIP server.  I always loved that SGI's environment, it was so out of the ordinary (ColorBus).  Anyway, the SGI was my first look at UNIX.  I never forgot it, or those NeXT machines that I'd heard of.

It's wonderful to have been able to track down a Cube, and to add it to my company of Macs.  I'd still like to find a nice Indy for the collection as well.....I am a very nostalgic tech after all  :D

matthewmac66

Quote from: "nextchef"Welcome, Welcome ..

So did you get a complete ready to run system, or just a cube?

Another convert to the "NeXT side"

Chef

Just a cube, with the original 030 configuration, which will be fun to work with.  I also have a line on an original Mono monitor and an external CD-ROM.  It looks like I'll be able to get a keyboard and mouse from maybe BlackHole?  At any rate, it will be great to build it all up slowly.  I've been doing the same thing with a G4 Cube, so the upstairs office will become a grand functional museum  :D  Any and all tips and guidance to the new NeXT fan are welcome.  Thanks guys!

matthewmac66

Quote from: "Nitro"Congratulations on obtaining a NeXTcube. :)  There's a large number of knowledgeable NeXT folks who hang out here so I'm sure that someone can answer most of the questions you may have.  Please make yourself at home and welcome to the forums.

Thanks very much, I appreciate the welcome.  8)

helf

I've been thinning out my collection. Still a few machines I want to eventually own. How do you like using just a monochrome display? I actually find it really pleasing to the eyes. I might not upgrade to a color unit anytime soon (stupid money issues ;)). I currently use my NeXTstation Turbo as my primary machine at home...
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

matthewmac66

Quote from: "helf"I've been thinning out my collection. Still a few machines I want to eventually own. How do you like using just a monochrome display? I actually find it really pleasing to the eyes. I might not upgrade to a color unit anytime soon (stupid money issues ;)). I currently use my NeXTstation Turbo as my primary machine at home...

I agree, I think that it will be easy on the eyes indeed.  I think that it might be a quick adjustment for me.  NeXT were doing such nice mono displays back then.  I missed an eBay auction, so hopefully I can round up one of the megapixel displays from BlackHole, etc.  Eventually, I'd like to track down a printer for a complete system.

That NeXTStation Turbo is a pretty machine, I'm sure it's a pleasure to work with.