Fishy smelling cube

Started by urquidez, May 22, 2009, 03:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

urquidez

Hello all,

As my Cube is booting a very fishy smell emanates from the OD slot. It dissipates by the time I get a desktop but still, it's a bit disconcerting because I recognize that smell. Back in the day, I would find enjoyment in blowing up capacitors with higher than rated voltage. The smell is quite similar to that or rotting fish. Um...yeah.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've already checked for the old 'dead fish in the Cube' trick so it's gotta be electronical. :P

kthanks!

helf

I'd disconnect the OD drive immediately...
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

urquidez

The OD hasn't worked since I've owned it. But yes it still connected and cycles up and down in spurts. I'm shutting the cube down now and going in.

urquidez

just swapped the OD out for an unknown spare I picked up in CO. At least my cube doesn't smell like fish anymore. I verified (by smell) that it was the OD and wasn't any other boards cooking. I just popped in an MO disk and am now staring at a spinning beach ball. I don't think it likes the new OD.

gtnicol

The MO drives are almost guaranteed to be dead. I have 3 I've rebuilt from parts... usually solder, capacitors, optical encoder etc. going

I'd recommend replacing the OD with a CDROM.

urquidez

I agree with your recommendation. I have a slot load SCSI CD drive that will be a perfect match for my cube. A working MO would be nice but is far from essential. I'm 0 for 3 with my MO's and I'm giving up on them entirely.  Thanks for the reply.