Video Playback

Started by schubige, January 23, 2016, 12:23:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

schubige

I'm currently working on making Previous more real-time aware (branch_realtime). Until now, timing in Previous was mostly based on (virtual) CPU cycles. Depending on your host hardware, this was either faster or slower than reality. I'm linking now various time sources in the NeXT hardware (such as vertical blank, microsecond timer, sound, etc.) to the host system. Thus time elapsed inside Previous is not only counted in CPU cycles but also in microseconds elapsed in reality.

One of the tests I do is video playback with NEXTTIME. Video playback is a great test because it heavily loads the system (I/O, decoding, sound, pumping video frame to the NeXTdimension, etc) and all that has to be synchronized and happens in real-time.

I'm having troubles with this video http://1drv.ms/1PtSB2b. Audio stops at roughly 1:30 and shortly after, frames start to drop as well.

Could anyone of you who has a real NeXTdimension play that video with NEXTTIME, record it e.g. with a phone-camera directly from the screen and upload/send it to me for comparison, please?

Thanks a lot, Simon

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: schubige on January 23, 2016, 12:23:33 AMI'm currently working on making Previous more real-time aware (branch_realtime). Until now, timing in Previous was mostly based on (virtual) CPU cycles. Depending on your host hardware, this was either faster or slower than reality. I'm linking now various time sources in the NeXT hardware (such as vertical blank, microsecond timer, sound, etc.) to the host system. Thus time elapsed inside Previous is not only counted in CPU cycles but also in microseconds elapsed in reality.

One of the tests I do is video playback with NEXTTIME. Video playback is a great test because it heavily loads the system (I/O, decoding, sound, pumping video frame to the NeXTdimension, etc) and all that has to be synchronized and happens in real-time.

I'm having troubles with this video http://1drv.ms/1PtSB2b. Audio stops at roughly 1:30 and shortly after, frames start to drop as well.

Could anyone of you who has a real NeXTdimension play that video with NEXTTIME, record it e.g. with a phone-camera directly from the screen and upload/send it to me for comparison, please?

Thanks a lot, Simon
Simon are you still around ? I thought you may have some insite into possible alternative hardware solutions via custom software as it dawned on me that you managed to create Darkmatter  DayDream but on NeXT NON ADB hardware when Macs USED ADB keyboards and mice . Only the last Turbo Colors and MONO Turbos and Turbo Cubes had the V74 rom chip which natively supports ADB devices. 

My question is as NeXT NON ADB components are getting hard to find , how would you approach a solution to provide or create an alternative solution for non NeXT keyboards and mice to connect to NeXT NON ADB hardware. There are some solutions but perhaps you would beable to describe how you we're able to get the NeXT non adb systems to handshake with Day Dream running MAS OS with ADB Drivers and would those DayDream or Darkmatter ADB to NON ADB peripheral Drivers be portable to NeXTSTEP to NeXT 68K NON ADB hardware ? So in effect plugging in an Keyboard ADB and mouse ADB peripherals to a NeXT NON ADB system making it work.  I know the main difference is Power on pin 7 and that an ADB keyboard with ADB sound Card and ADB monitor cable will power up a NeXT but that is as far as it goes. Other alternatives would be PS2 to NeXT or USB to NeXT using arduino adaptors and may be you would have some insite into making an opensource protoype :) Best Regards Rob Blessin Thank you for all your help on Previous and Dark Matter !
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93