Starting App when loging in?

Started by wlewisiii, February 11, 2024, 07:56:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlewisiii

I found a dock extender in the Nextfiles archive called Fiend. It makes the dock bigger, starts the screen saver, etc. Neat app. I'd like it to run every time I log into the "Me" account.

But I am failing to accomplish this.

.login doesn't fire off unless I open a terminal
/etc/rc.local doesn't work either.
Can cron do an arbitrary job at login in Nextstep 3.3?

Thanks!

cuby

The section "Customizing Login and Logout" in chapter 9 (System Startup and Shutdown) of the NeXT System and Network Administration manual describes how to set a Login Hook - A script or application that runs when anyone logs in.

I think this could be used to start the dock extender, though I cannot see how to customize this to start the extender only for a specific user.

wlewisiii

That would be fine. I didn't think that the login hook could be any arbitrary application so I didn't try that. I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

nuss

Hi @wlewisiii , maybe I get you wrong, but if you just want to auto-start an application after login into NeXTStep, the best way I know is, to add the app(s) to the Dock and set it/them to "autostart" in the Workspace preferences:

Workspace-pref-autostart.png
DON'T PANIC

cuby

Quote from: nuss on February 12, 2024, 04:13:08 AMadd the app(s) to the Dock and set it/them to "autostart" in the Workspace preferences
Oh whow, I'm using NeXTstep for almost 30 years and didn't know about this... thanks!

wlewisiii

Thanks for the lesson! That did the trick.