Crazy idea... openstep on darwin?

Started by gsyoungblood, October 18, 2006, 09:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitfire

Quote from: cuby on June 25, 2023, 06:29:29 AMI tried to find out some more information on the protocol. When NXHost'ing an application to a remote machine, messages are relayed via netmsgserver on TCP port 2453. The communication seems to use mostly binary encoded (D)PS messages. So it might be interesting to create an NXHost display server first (without emulating m68k code) - this could then also be a basis to implement a local WindowServer and might also be a useful addition to Previous.

Does a NeXT application require a local DPS server to run? Or can it rely entirely on a remote display?

I ask this because if we can use a remote DPS that's one less thing that has to be built to get an application on the screen. You can come back later and do DPS->whatever. Punt on absolutely everything you can punt on.

gtnicol

I believe they can run full remotely but how much other than DPS is needed, I don't know. Might be worth looking into the code to see.

gtnicol

Quote from: cuby on June 25, 2023, 06:29:29 AMSo it might be interesting to create an NXHost display server first (without emulating m68k code) - this could then also be a basis to implement a local WindowServer and might also be a useful addition to Previous.

That was one of the reasons I was thinking about getting DPS running on XNU as part of bootstrapping a modern version of NEXTSTEP. It seems like a fruitful path to head down...

spitfire

Just rmeembered about Darling. an OSX on LInux layer.
Yes it's OSX, but it might provide some assistance in bootstrapping M68K nextstep.

https://www.darlinghq.org