Apple2guy

As Jeremy Clarkson says "More Power!!!!"

Hardware:
Motherboard: 4CoreDual-VSTA
Cpu: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Extreme CPU Q6800 @ 2.93 Ghz
Ram: 2048Mb DDR2 533
Video: Ati Radeon HD 2400 Pro Agp 8x
Scsi: Adaptec 2940UW Pro
id0 Maxtor Atlas 15K 36 GB (7 4GB partitions)
id1 IBM Ultrastar 10k 36 GB (Used as a backup drive)
id6 HP DVD-ROM Drive
Audio: SB16 PCI
Network: SMC 9332 Pci

issues I solved:
Computer reboots when using 32bit vesa modes
Fix: change maxmem=980992 to maxmem=917504

issues I still have:
cannot play audio cds thru sound card (Yes 4 pin audio cable is connected to the sound card and DVD drive)

results.png
ByteBenchmark times.txt
ByteBenchmark report.txt   
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

pTeK

Congratulations Apple2guy on getting it to work with over 256MB RAM and thanks for writing down all the hardware and drivers you used.

I know this is a stupid question but did you install from a floppy disk first? I'm having trouble trying to dd the floppy image to a USB stick, and I can't get further then after memory test has completed.

What is the command line to change maxmem?

Thanks.

nuss

This is really cool @Apple2guy , I would also be interested in more setup details :)
DON'T PANIC

Apple2guy

pTek on initial install I used a HxC Floppy Drive Emulator and standard floppy images to install to a 2gb partition on a scsi hd. Then updated to patch 4. Then I partitioned the drive on id 1 in 7 4gb slices. Then I used Dump to copy the boot partition to slice a on the second hd. then you just change scsi ids, reboot and partition the drive you initially installed. I use it as a backup if/when I screw up my install by experimenting.

Nextanswers has an article on boot commands. https://www.nextop.de/NeXTAnswers/1495.html
for a computer with 20 megabytes of memory, use maxmem=20480 at the boot: prompt

Since this board has agp/pci-e when using the vesa drivers I see no speed differences between agp/pci-e cards.

Oh and if you're partitioning your scsi drive in slices, you would think on a 36 gb drive you could use eight 4gb slices.. you can't. The best that I have gotten is seven 4Gb slices.
It will wrap around and overwrite the first partition and the section of the drive where the disk tab is written.
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello NeXT Community: This is really cool, Apple2guy

I'm wondering if it may be possible to install Openstep 4.2 on this configuration of Mac MINI natively lol not likely but who knows...as I have one gathering dust I may give it a shot after getting caught up, if I manage to ....

We know the core duo is supported by Openstep:

Apple Mac mini "Core Duo" 1.83 features a 1.83 GHz Intel "Core Duo" (T2400) processor, a 2 MB on-chip level 2 cache,

512MB Ram works!
a 667 MHz frontside bus, 512 MB of 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM (PC2-5300) memory,

Hmm , the dual channel driver would it handshake with
a 5400 RPM, 80 GB Serial ATA hard drive, we would need to set up a separate boot partition probably Fat32 Dos and a disktab for the partition make it a 2gb initially

a slot-loading 2.4X double-layer "SuperDrive",     Boot the install cd from this drive in a terminal at the dos prompt in the partition.....

and an "Intel GMA950 graphics processor with 64 MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory."

May be the VESA driver ..... Apple had the Marklar project which was Openstep / Rhapsody on Intel the entire time the mainstream Apple hardware was running on G3,G4, G5'''s then ported over to Intel support to Mac OSX

Connectivity includes DVI (DVI-to-VGA adapter included) , hmmm would vesa driver see the VGA though the dvi connection

and Firewire "400", yeah no

four USB 2.0 ports, no driver for USB >>>> damn which probably screws us for mouse and keyboard support unless some sort of ps/2 or adaptor .

combined "optical digital audio input/audio line in" and combined "optical digital audio output/headphone" minijacks,  NO not a chance may be a beep

a 10/100/1000Base-T Gigabit Ethernet port,  probably no driver but drivers may possibly be written , not likely

and built-in AirPort Extreme (802.11g)  .... no

and Bluetooth 2.0+EDR. no

It lacks an internal 56k modem, but an external Apple USB Modem could be purchased for US$49. , may be lol

Like the Mac mini G4 models, the internal components are cleverly enclosed in a tiny and elegant 2.9 lb, 6.5 inch square, two inch tall case with a built-in speaker and an external power supply.

The Mac mini "Core Duo" 1.83 also includes an Apple Remote for use with Apple Front Row media organization software. The Mac mini "Core" systems shipped without a display, keyboard, or mouse, but numerous Apple and third-party options were available.

Also see: What are the differences between the Mac mini "Core Solo/Core Duo" models?

I would save the madness as:

I have successfully installed Openstep 4.2 under vmware, virtual box and parallels and previous in emulation on many flavors of Mac Hardware and it works..... not sure what all still works on the latest and greatest Apple processors  / hardware.

PS Previous works great on my Mac Mini Apple M2 Pro ,I'm still pacing myself and now have set up 3 works space for different NeXT projects so I am making progress on catching up with orders. Yep Hobbling around and shortness of breath be damned lol
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

Apple2guy

It is so fast it doesn't even notice mp3 is playing with glgears running.

SCREEN.png