Installation of OpenStep 4.2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150 (2003)

Started by pTeK, October 09, 2023, 01:43:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pTeK

Installation of OpenStep 4.2 on a Dell Inspiron 5150 (2003).

CPU: Pentium 4@ 3.06Ghz
GFX: ATI Radeon 9000 w/ 32MB RAM
RAM 512MB,
CD: PHILIPS DVD+RW SDVD6004 (Internal)
HDD: 60GB 2.5" IDE
IDE connector: ICH4
Floppy: None
Windows XP Home is installed on the first partition and it has my student copy of Office 2003 and I'm having trouble trying to shift the files to a later partition so i can 'dd' a IDE image to the start of the HDD.

Problem 1: No keyboard input after memory scan at the beginning.
Solved: By holding down left shift at the start you can bypass the memory scan. It reads the memory from the BIOS max 64MB, this is ok as memory can be configured on the command line.

Problem 2: CD and HDD is not being detected after selecting EIDE drivers at boot, Maybe because they are over 8GB and this is the CD version of OpenStep and not the patched binaries which support 8GB+.
It registers a hd0 is getting detected as
hd0: 1024 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 spt
hd0: using single sector transfers.
Registering: hd0
hd0: Device Block Size: 512 bytes
hd0: Device Capacity:   8032 MB

as for hc0:
hc0: device detected at port 0x1f0 irq 14
hc0: Checking for ATA drive 0...
hc0: drive 0, type 55, using geometry from INT table.
hc0: WARNING: using BIOS geometry for drive 0.
hc0: Checking for ATA drive 1...
hc0: Checking for ATAPI drive 1...
hc0: Resetting drives...
Registering: hc0
hc0: ATA command 20 failed. Retrying...
hc0: ATA Command: error=0x1 secCnt=0x1 secNum=0x1 cyl=0xeb14 drhd=0xe0 status=0x0

hc1: device detected at port 0x170 irq 15
hc1: Checking for ATA drive 0... Detected
hc1: Checking for ATA drive 1...
hc1: Checking for ATAPI drive 1...
hc1: Resetting drives...
Registering: hc1
hd1: IC25N060ATMR04-0 MO3OAD0A
hd1: 16383 cylinders, 16 heads, 63 spt (disk geometry)
hd1: using multisector (16) transfers.
Registering: hd1
hd1: Device Block Size: 512 bytes
hd1: Device Capacity:  8063 MB
IRQ Levels: Couldn't reserve 14
configureDriver: could not allocate resources for class DualEide
Registering: event0
Registering: kmDevice0
No SCSI controller or CD-ROM drive found

with this final error before system panic
rootdev 30f, howto 3
vfs_mountroot: error=6
panic: (Cpu 0) vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
panic: NeXT Mach 4.2: Wed Apr 16 13:44:57 PDT 1997; root(rcbuilder):Objects/mk-183.34.obj~2/RELEASE_I386

System Panic:
vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
so it detects hd1 as my HDD, it just has problem detecting a CD-ROM to read the CD, so that should mean by using 'dd' to write a OpenStep Image it should boot ok on my laptop.

@Rob Blessin Black Hole I don't have any floppy disk drives and I can't disable USB ports in the BIOS. I'm booting into OpenSTEP by doing the CD switch (drivers on one CD, and switch to User CD right at the end).

Rob Blessin Black Hole

My guess is that you are actually not loading a boot driver for dual channel eide drivers ....then again I have simply used a floppy drive for this part of the very beginning on NeXT installs on Intel . This is a laptop and not a workstation correct?

You may be able to use a Dell PC to install Openstep on a hard drive first ,
it is a can of worms for sure as I have not tried it on this model of Dell laptop.....

* F2 usually drops you into bios where you should find a toggle on and off for USB enabled or disabled.

* I haven't tried "I'm booting into OpenSTEP by doing the CD switch (drivers on one CD, and switch to User CD right at the end)."  it sounds cool and I did not know this works ???

* 60Gb hard drive , I have insalled Openstep on larger hard drives my experience install even with Y2k patches goes well she will even run but first hard shut down then a check disk on reboot and everything goes haywire as it doesn't understand the out of parameter disk drive geometries of the larger hard drive .... my guess is this is an artifact of earlier rev of check disk ...... looks from the panic is it is not finding the cdrom drive openstep image .... I think their was a pcmcia 1460 scsi card which had a nextstep driver ..... see them on eBay also I found this gem for you https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Installing_NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP_On_A_Laptop
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

pTeK

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on October 09, 2023, 02:01:37 PMMy guess is that you are actually not loading a boot driver for dual channel eide drivers ....then again I have simply used a floppy drive for this part of the very beginning on NeXT installs on Intel . This is a laptop and not a workstation correct?

You may be able to use a Dell PC to install Openstep on a hard drive first ,
it is a can of worms for sure as I have not tried it on this model of Dell laptop.....

* F2 usually drops you into bios where you should find a toggle on and off for USB enabled or disabled.

* I haven't tried "I'm booting into OpenSTEP by doing the CD switch (drivers on one CD, and switch to User CD right at the end)."  it sounds cool and I did not know this works ???

* 60Gb hard drive , I have insalled Openstep on larger hard drives my experience install even with Y2k patches goes well she will even run but first hard shut down then a check disk on reboot and everything goes haywire as it doesn't understand the out of parameter disk drive geometries of the larger hard drive .... my guess is this is an artifact of earlier rev of check disk ...... looks from the panic is it is not finding the cdrom drive openstep image .... I think their was a pcmcia 1460 scsi card which had a nextstep driver ..... see them on eBay also I found this gem for you https://wiki.preterhuman.net/Installing_NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP_On_A_Laptop
Yeah I can't disable any of the USB features in the BIOS menu, it is also has the last released BIOS for that model.

I've had a look at the Laptop guide, it's a bit dated as they were using hardware before mine.

Everyone on this site says that even when they have a patched 4.2 OpenStep, they still play it save and use 4GB partitions which is understandable.

Also from NeXT Answers 1650: Large IDE Drive Problems with NEXTSTEP 3.2
QuoteThe geometry limitation of 1024 cylinders, 16 heads, and 63 sectors per track stems from a combination of both the ATA specification and your BIOS's limits. The IDE limitations are set in the original ATA specification (see http://www.symbios.com/ftp/pub/standards/io/ata/ata-r4c.txt) . BIOS limits come from the INT 13 read/write calls that combine a 10 bit cylinder value with a 6 bit sector value into a 16 bit register. The following table demonstrates how each contributes to the limitation.
BIOS IDE Limitation
Maximum Cylinders 1024 65536 1024
Maximum Heads 255 16 16
Maximum Sectors/Track 63 255 63
Maximum Capacity 7.84GB 127.5GB 504MB
Caution
In addition to the standard IDE driver, NEXTSTEP 3.3 includes a revised IDE driver that resolves the geometry problem. This updated driver asks the disk for its geometry instead of obtaining it from the BIOS. If you are currently using the NEXTSTEP 3.2 IDE driver and will be upgrading to NEXTSTEP 3.3 (or later), you may use the revised IDE driver but you will have to both reset the BIOS settings and reinitialize the drive (reinstall all operating systems). However, you may continue to use the standard IDE driver with no difference in operation.
The CD switch technique was mentioned in this forum 10 years ago, they create a 2.88MB floppy with the kernal and drivers they need for the system then burn it to CD and swap to the USER CD at before you press the final "1. Continue to Load".

Does any one have the errors for vfs_mountroot? I've looked at /kernel/bsd/vfs/vfs_subr.c but the error message I received in the first post is rather cryptic:

rootdev 30f, howto 3
vfs_mountroot: error=6
panic: (Cpu 0) vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
panic: NeXT Mach 4.2: Wed Apr 16 13:44:57 PDT 1997; root(rcbuilder):Objects/mk-183.34.obj~2/RELEASE_I386

System Panic:
vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root

I understand it can't mount root which means it can't find and mount the filesystem on the install (Openstep 4.2 User CD) rootdev=cdrom, but those other errors rootdev 30f, howto 3
vfs_mountroot: error=6.

Thanks

Apple2guy

I haven't had good experiences installing nextstep on ide drives. I get a much stabler experience using scsi drives (If they are 36Gb or smaller). Also because nextstep only allows 7 slices per disk. You can only use 7 4gb partitions, which comes out to 28Gb. Slice H is used to refer to the raw device.
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

pTeK

Quote from: Apple2guy on October 10, 2023, 09:03:52 AMI haven't had good experiences installing nextstep on ide drives. I get a much stabler experience using scsi drives (If they are 36Gb or smaller). Also because nextstep only allows 7 slices per disk. You can only use 7 4gb partitions, which comes out to 28Gb. Slice H is used to refer to the raw device.
I find it interesting that you haven't had good experiences installing Nextstep on IDE drives.

Slice H is referred to IDE drives and S for SCSI drives with partition h (i.e /dev/rsd0h) being the full drive.

Is there a reason why you have a personal preference for NextStep over OpenStep?

Apple2guy

I use Openstep 4.2, I was referencing openstep/nextstep . Were you confusing device names Sd(x) for scsi and hd(x) for ide? A slice can be considered an nextstep/openstep analog to a fdisk type partition. I don't like using IDE because the Driver sucks. It detects my IDE devices like PIIX but actually getting dma to work on it... Good luck. If you have verbose boot on you can see it tries DMA then always reverts back to Pio modes. The only time I got DMA to work was on virtual hardware.
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

pTeK

Quote from: Apple2guy on October 12, 2023, 06:54:11 AMI use Openstep 4.2, I was referencing openstep/nextstep . Were you confusing device names Sd(x) for scsi and hd(x) for ide? A slice can be considered an nextstep/openstep analog to a fdisk type partition.
QuoteNo I was selecting the "Dual IDE driver" I even tried selecting the Adaptec SCSI driver first like it mentioned for Installing Nextstep 3.3 but didn't have much luck with that either.

Quote from: Apple2guy on October 12, 2023, 06:54:11 AMI don't like using IDE because the Driver sucks. It detects my IDE devices like PIIX but actually getting dma to work on it... Good luck. If you have verbose boot on you can see it tries DMA then always reverts back to Pio modes. The only time I got DMA to work was on virtual hardware.
LOL  ;D Faulty hardware or faulty emulation?!?

pTeK

So I downloaded a 3GB OpenStep 4.2 Patched HD image in one of the threads (Must have been under 3 years old) and used NetBSD to dd it directly to my HD hoping that OpenStep would boot on reboot, but it's still having trouble talking to the IDE driver with log similar to the top post.

I was hoping the problem was that OpenStep wasn't recognizing the User CD while installing so that if I wrote a HD image direct to the HD it would boot if that. This does not seem to be the case.

hc(1,a)mach_kernel
hd(0,a)mach_kernel
are the only two commands that get anywhere at the boot menu.
hc(1,a)mach_kernel can't load "/private/Drivers/i386/System.Config"
hd(0,a)mach_kernel loads and boots but doesn't get past the hc0, hd0 HD detection part as mentioned above.