ADB vs non-ADB hardware

Started by dravier, February 26, 2006, 10:40:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dravier

Can't say that I've ever put much thought into this aspect of NeXT machines but while looking through the post about setting up the flat panel on a NeXT I noticed the image of the non-ADB Station and it dawned on mine looked slightly different (the keyboard and mouse) because I have an ADB system.  My mono station is non-ADB but I haven't had that running sinced I moved into my new house.  

The question really is:  why did NeXT bother making both an ADB and non-ADB version of their hardware?  It seems odd that Steve Jobs would have spent the extra money to offer both of these options without a decent reason.  Anyone out there know?
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson

gaspar

I think the non-ADB was for the old hardware 68030 (first generation) then the new Turbos came out and they used the ADB which is mac compatible, so I suppose they would automatically open themselves to a new market of hardware the owner could buy if necessary...  This is why you can use a Mac mouse on ADB enabled computers.. (not that a beige mouse would look OK hooked to an elegant black system :wink: )

Remember that ADB Slabs/Cubes-enabled are backwards compatible with non-ADB hardware... so there was nothing to loose when the new hardware was released..

I think Sun and/or HP is (or was) at some point ADB compatible...

Bye
Gaspar

Nitro

The NeXTWORLD archives have some info on a few of the reasons NeXT went to the ADB input devices.

http://www.simson.net/nextworld/92.4/92.4.Winter.New.Products.html
Nitro

brams

I always suspected that it was so NeXT customers could use Wacom tablets and the like for use with Adobe Illustrator.

However IMHO the ADB stuff is crap, it feels plasticy & horrible to use, I want to convert my NeXTstation Turbo to Non-ADB, however I'm finding it very difficult to find Soundbox.

Apparently Apple ADB mice don't work properly unless the mouse button is pressed duing boot up.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.