Main Menu

Cat 5 to fiber

Started by pentium, March 13, 2008, 10:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentium

Recently in our house we (well more like I) started switching over from BNC and Cat 5 networking to Wi-Fi and SC or ST Ethernet over fiber.
Because of that I will now have to either route a new Cat 5 cable for the cube or I can get a media converter so that I can switch the fiber connection back to a Cat 5 connection.
That gave me an idea.
For a while they made these little compact media converters that you put in a spare slot in a computer and plugged into a regular 5/12V connection inside the computer.

By the looks of it, it's small enough to fit on one of the blanking slots on the back of the cube. Since I want my cube to look as tidy as possible I am planning on (don't kill me here) cutting the needed holes on one of the rear blanking plates and mounting one of these converters in the plate and with a pass through power cable I can draw the needed power off the hard drives power cable.
Then I can make a really small Cat 5 cable to go between the converter and the port on the motherboard (the cable will be black).
I'll post photos when it's all done and I will do my best to make it look nice.

Here is one on ebay. They are pretty tiny as well as cheap.

-NeXT 68040 Cube with NS 3.3 and 64Mb ram

helf

that's actually a pretty cool idea. Hope it works out well. :)
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)