Best bang for your buck?

Started by dravier, April 03, 2008, 11:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dravier

Okay, I'm doing a little pre-planning for when I get my MacBook Pro.  I would really to like to have a virtual setup to run NS3.3 (it's what I have) as well as either BeOS 5.0.3 or Zeta 1.5 (not really sure which).  Of the choices out there (VMWare, Parallels, missing third option) what seems to work the best?  I may eventually setup a XP system, but not sure if I want / need to.  

Experiences, thoughts, fears?  Incite would be appreciated as there seems to be a decent amount of 'how to' but not much for recent reactions.  Thanks!
dravier

Turbo Color slab NS 3.3

"a little rebellion now and then is a good thing"
- Thomas Jefferson

Andreas

Quote from: "dravier"Of the choices out there (VMWare, Parallels, missing third option) what seems to work the best?  I may eventually setup a XP system, but not sure if I want / need to.

VMWare runs at least OS42 with all drivers, under parallels network or sound was missing. The main goal for me for VMWare is, that you can copy virtual machines from other systems like VMWare for Windows to the Apple and it runs.

The base, to download ready styled virtual machines is also bigger than for parallels, f.e. you can download AROS or HAIKU ready for VMWare.
(i have also seen a Tiger installation for VMWare ;-))

(and you can use more than one CPU core)

memson

Quote from: "dravier"...either BeOS 5.0.3 or Zeta 1.5 (not really sure which).  Of the choices out there (VMWare, Parallels, missing third option) what seems to work the best?

I couldn't recommend either for BeOS. No virtualization software emulates PC hardware well enough to run BeOS. You'll find it will run to a fashion, but things like real time clock timings goes a little mental. Zeta is probably worse, as i is essentially the same OS, but it has higher resource requirements.

Haiku would be a better bet.

Out of interest, where did you get Zeta 1.5? Magnussoft only released 1.21. AFAIK, 1.5 was only in beta. The last YellowTab version was 1.2. Version 1.5 uses a newer ABI, so not much of anything legacy will run.

helf

I can probably get you v1.5 if you want it ;) I know one of the guys that worked for yT.
After an apparent 15ish year hiatus... I'm baaaaack! :D (12/12/2023)

kb7sqi

I have to agree w/ Andreas, OS 4.2 runs great under Fusion and Parallels.  The only thing that don't work for me under Parallels is the sound.  I've never had a problem w/ networking.  But I have a similar setup installed under Fusion and everything works.  :D   As far as BEOS/Zeta goes, it runs fine under VMWare as well.  You have to install the vmware drivers from BeBits though.  Zeta 1.21 has the drivers w/ now that I think about it.  I'd have to boot it up.  It's been quite a while since I booted that up.  :wink:   I wouldn't waste my time w/ 1.5 or the 1.51 beta stuff.  It's not that great.  But we are talking about Zeta.  Take care.

Dennis Nedry

Fusion all the way.

Parallels is a weird product manufactured by a rickety company (originally Parallels was designed to run OS/2 Warp, nothing more), and current versions (3.0) are designed to run Windows. Sure, it runs other stuff, but a lack of drivers and support for alternative OS's (and no virtual SMP support, or any advanced features from VMware Fusion) means you're spending your money on a product best suited for something else.

Fusion 1.1.3 runs Rhapsody and OS 4.2 like a dream- EVERYTHING is supported with *minimal* work.

Fusion 2.0 Beta also runs Rhapsody and OS 4.2 just the same- though 2.0 Beta has a new configuration editor which really rocks, and is faster for x64 operating systems. It's also a free upgrade to all current users.

So, I'd say go for Fusion. You get the stable release known to work right off the bat, and a free upgrade to 2.0 when it's out.

-DN

neozeed

I like qemu... but then I kind of like tweaking stuff here & there...
# include <wittycomment.h>