Repairing HDD?

Started by gtnicol, March 13, 2006, 07:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtnicol

I have a 100% original cube that came from within NeXT. It had some interesting data on it... I was about to back it up but when I went to boot the machine I found the disk will no longer work. It spins, clicks, then shuts down. The platters spin freely, so I don't think there is a head crash, just a head stuck in it's stop.

Any ideas about how to fix this? The machine is 100% original... in very nice condition, so ideally I'd like to preserve the HDD.

gaspar

Quote from: "gtnicol"It had some interesting data on it...

I know there are companies that will get your data out even if they have to replace the embedded motor, heads, drive head,etc..
They're not cheap but its guaranteed.. The police/FBI use them for forensics. Especially nowadays with so many f*king pedofiles... (I could kill those bastards but will leave that rant for another thread)

Unfortunately I don't have any names but search and you will find many.. cause lately in the corporate world its more common than you think.

Bye
-Gaspar

gtnicol

Yah.... I called a few of them. Bottom line is at least $400 and probably something more like $1500. This machine has some internal marketing material from NeXT on it (it has a NeXT asset tag). The disk.... the whole internals of the machine, are really, really, clean. I've been trying to find someone that would fix the HDD because even if I pay someone to get the data off, I don't want to break a 100% original internal NeXT cube...

gaspar

Well what we used to do with Maxtors (yes its a bit unorthodox but it worked many many times)
is take the hard drive out and basically hit it against a solid surface like floor with carpet. The trick is that you do that in an angle transversal to the heads play. Not too hard of course.. but enough to move the mechanicals..

Nothing to loose really cause the drive is not working already...

hey I said unorthodox... (no guarantees ok?)

Good luck
-Gaspar

gtnicol

I was going to try that... I used to whack the side of old drives for much the same effect.

I'm hoping that if I *do* send it to a company that they'll fix the drive in the process of recovering the data. Apparently they always return the drive "in the same condition".... I figure if a head is stuck in park, they'll have to free it :)

fidel

Quote from: "gaspar"Well what we used to do with Maxtors (yes its a bit unorthodox but it worked many many times)...

Nothing to loose really cause the drive is not working already...

I was going to suggest the same; however, I'd have suggested a good hard slap mere seconds away from plugging the drive in and using it. And, in the event it does work, and the drive can be read, have the means (i.e. tools and space) already on hand to suck up everything (absolutely everything) from the drive - because you may only get exactly one opportunity to do so.

gaspar

Quote from: fidel
Quote from: "gaspar"have the means (i.e. tools and space) already on hand to suck up everything (absolutely everything) from the drive - because you may only get exactly one opportunity to do so.

I agree get ready with network, printer, tape or floppies  :cry:
Good luck please let us know if the worked...
-G