Socketed CPU on a 68040 cube...

Started by gtnicol, March 13, 2006, 09:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtnicol

I have a 68040/25 cube with a socketed CPU, rather than it being soldered in. Has anyone else seen this.

I'm wondering about the potential for overclocking :)

gaspar

Quote from: "gtnicol"I have a 68040/25 cube with a socketed CPU, rather than it being soldered in. Has anyone else seen this.

That is one special hardware you got..  you can try and fit a 68040/33 in there...

gtnicol

That's what I was thinking... I can maybe a get a Turbo with 64MB of ram :-) The socket is not like the Turbo socket either... it's the same size as the chip. I might be able to try my Pyro in there (once I find the slab with it in again)... ;)

My digital camera is broken (had to send it back for repairs) otherwise I'd take photos.

kenjay

Quote from: "gtnicol"I have a 68040/25 cube with a socketed CPU, rather than it being soldered in. Has anyone else seen this.

Really, there is nothing special about this. In my experience, at least 60%  of [all] the NeXT motherboards have the socketed CPU's.

Also - just for your information, simply inserting a 040/33MHz CPU will not accomplish anything. The computer will simply not boot. At least it was that way - when I tried to do it.

gtnicol

>Really, there is nothing special about this. In my experience,
>at least 60% of [all] the NeXT motherboards have the socketed CPU's.

Really? I hadn't noticed and I've played with a fair number. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Of course, that begs the question of why the difference? Is it different production runs?

brams

fitting a 33mhz 040 should still work, though nothing will have changed it should still run at 25mhz.

Fitting of the Pyro would be the thing to do :-)

brams
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

Nitro

Quote from: "gtnicol">Really, there is nothing special about this. In my experience,
>at least 60% of [all] the NeXT motherboards have the socketed CPU's.

Really? I hadn't noticed and I've played with a fair number. I guess I'll have to keep my eyes open.

Of course, that begs the question of why the difference? Is it different production runs?

I have a few of the socketed 040/25Mhz Cubes.  About 1/3 of the Cubes I've purchased have the socket.  They're the early design I believe. Here's a quote from the Spherical Solutions Pyro installation page:

QuoteThe Cube motherboard was manufactured by NeXT in two different ways which affect installation. On some motherboards, the 68040 CPU was installed in a socket; on later motherboards, the CPU was soldered directly to the motherboard.

http://web.archive.org/web/19980624233331/http://web.archive.org/web/19980624233331/http://www.orb.com/Pyro/I&O.html

I vote for installing the Pyro too.  :)
Nitro

brams

I think from what I've read that there's a bit of a trick you need to do when fitting a Pyro in a Cube.  Not sure but I think it involves moving the logicboard into a different slot I think.

If it helps, there are some pics of a NeXTcube Pyro on my dot Mac homepage.

Cheers
brams
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

gtnicol

>I think from what I've read that there's a bit of a trick you need to do when >fitting a Pyro in a Cube. Not sure but I think it involves moving the >logicboard into a different slot I think.

That'd make sense: the pyro is a bit taller and probably needs more air.

What's the link to your .Mac site?

Nightengale

I found this link in his profile, I think it is the right one. Great Pics:
http://homepage.mac.com/brams/Menu4.html
NeXT Turbo Color 4.2, HP Pavillion w/4.2,MacBook Pro, PPC G5 dual 2.7 10.5.8, Imac G4 20 inch

brams

Yes thats the one, actually if you look under my sig you can see icons for MSN, AIM etc.  The WWW icon links to my .Mac site :-)

Cheers
brams

gtnicol

brams

Hi

No it's not mine (though I wish it was), I got the pics sent to me from the seller, it was on eBay UK about 10 months ago and, I unfortunately could not bid as at exactly the same time there was the dual 133 BeBox that I own now on eBay, and I could not afford to buy them both (I paid about a grand for the BeBox inc shipping + duty to UK).  So I took the BeBox as it is mega rare to see them up for sale.  I know the Pyro is a rare beast as well but I already had my slab at the time, and now a Turbo Cube.

I have a spare Dimension & 040 logic board, if I could get an 030 Cube and Pyro, then I'd have somthing.

Pics of my Cube are here as well as some other photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/21699268@N00/

Cheers
brams