Anyone using Virtualbox 2.2

Started by mgtremaine, April 20, 2009, 09:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgtremaine

Got a new Mac Mini and had lots of fun moving everything over from my Fedora 10. One last thing is Openstep/Nextstep virtuals I get a Panic after booting Openstep under VirtualBox 2.2 and a hang on Nextstep 3.3...

Anyone using VB 2.2 got it working?

-Mike

winfried

I'm at 2.1.4 (MacOSX Leopard 10.5.6 on MBPro) and have OS 4.2 running without problems. Have not yet tried VB 2.2

Andreas

Quote from: "winfried"I'm at 2.1.4 (MacOSX Leopard 10.5.6 on MBPro) and have OS 4.2 running without problems.

Is sound and network working?

winfried

Yes, sound and net is working, although not with drivers, delivered with OS4.2.
I'm using AMDPCnet32NetworkDriver and SBSoundMIDI.

kb7sqi

Quote from: "mgtremaine"Got a new Mac Mini and had lots of fun moving everything over from my Fedora 10. One last thing is Openstep/Nextstep virtuals I get a Panic after booting Openstep under VirtualBox 2.2 and a hang on Nextstep 3.3...

Anyone using VB 2.2 got it working?

-Mike

Hey Mike,
     I noticed some problems w/ 2.2, but I've been able to boot my OPENSTEP 4.2 images under 2.2.2, which was released yesterday.  I'll convert an image of NEXTSTEP 3.3 & give it a shot later if I have time.  Hope things are going well!  Take care.

mgtremaine

Awesome VB 2.2.2 did the trick now I've got a Openstep running again. Guess that means I have to play with it :)

-Mike

LastDimension

Quote from: "winfried"Yes, sound and net is working, although not with drivers, delivered with OS4.2.
I'm using AMDPCnet32NetworkDriver and SBSoundMIDI.

Hi, I have virtualbox 2.2.2 installed (in OSX) and have my openstep install up and running for the most part. The only things I seem to be having trouble with are networking and sound.

If I enable networking in the virtualbox settings, I get this screen when booting Openstep, where it just sits.

If you could be so kind as to provide a few tips as to how you've got things setup and which drivers (specifically) you're using, I'd very much appreciate it.

Oh, it goes without saying that I'm new to OpenStep. ;)

LastDimension

Small update after some more playing.

Networking:
It's sort of working. I can ping the virtualbox router, but nothing else. Still a few things to try.

Sound: It seems the soundblaster 16 is being detected at boot and configured, but I have no sound. when double clicking the alerts in the preferences.app section. (They might not even work that way though, so I'm not entirely sure it's not working.)

LastDimension

I have networking! \o/

(I've since upped the resolution to 1024x768.)

mgtremaine

Hooray! I always use bridge attached to the main ethernet interface because I have a lot of machines on the internal network and I like to them to all be able to reach one another.

I was just going to post that I upgrade to 2.2.4 and it still works fine.

-Mike

LastDimension

That's where I went wrong, ethernet was set to NAT and I could only ping the virtualbox router, switched to bridged and all is well.

I have all the drivers for sound now, just need to get around to installing them.

mlankton

VB beta 3 works too. I took it off and went back to 2.2.x because I was getting strange crashes running FreeBSD. 3.x will be nice when it's ready (for os'es that support SMP) because it allows you to set the number of cores, ala VMWare.

Running OPENSTEP 4.2 in VB2.2.x on Mac Pro 8 core 2.8GHz, no issues, everything works.