NeXT Cube Fiber Optics Fore board from 90's, Anyone have NeXT's on a GB network?

Started by Rob Blessin Black Hole, September 11, 2020, 11:04:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello NeXT Community:  The interactive NeXT exhibit in Germany will be on a 100mb/1gb network with plans to upgrade to 10 gb.

Does anyone have original NeXT hardware working on a 1gb network ? If Yes please any tips ? 

Perhaps reconfiguring an old router to become a wifi bridge?

I think plans are to add some Mac Mini's which would open the door to a VMware NeXTSTEP/ Openstep Intel solutions where we have 10/100 drivers along with previous and may be the ability to write a 1gb VMware driver. Maybe it is not neccessary to write a driver....

I attached a very Rare NeXT Cube Fiber Optics Expansion FORE board I had awhile back , how far ahead was NeXT lol ... Fiber Networking early 90's... I never had the drivers for it.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

Theta-K7

So the problem is that your network won't talk 10 Mbps?  The simplest solution is just to stick a 10/100/1000 switch between the NeXT and the gigabit network, to act as a transceiver.  Just a simple, cheap, unmanaged switch should do the job fine.

And since most (all?) 10 GbE switches will talk 1 Gb, you should be able to connect your "transceiver" to that network as well.  If for some reason you really do need to make a 10 Gb connection, you can get around this problem be daisy chaining 10/100/1000 and 1000/10G switches, or using a 10G switch with a SFP port and installing a 10 Mbps-capable SFP transceiver, or using a 10 Mbps-capable switch with a SFP port and adding a 10G-capable SFP transceiver.  There are also a handful of 10/100/1G/10G-capable switches that could act as transceiver, but the limited selection here would probably push the price higher than other solutions.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello: Thank you for the advice, we are in the information gathering phase. I have an old Apple Airport here , now if I only can find the power supply for it.

The switch sounds like a great solution 10/100/1000 then daisy chain 1000/10000

I know I'm not alone in this one.
I'm tempted to put a motion detector and webcam on my boxes of wires , cords and adaptors
as I swear mystical stuff goes on  because there is no way in heck I'm tangling stuff up that bad ever lol I have even untangled boxes only to find them in disarray. So finally I tamed the beast and found puting them in baggies helps until they escape lol I need to go back to bed, my roommate Lisa has decided she needs to blare loud music at 4:00 Am.
 It seems a murphies law is the adaptor you need is the one you can't find until you buy a new one or is tangled deep in the wire nest and then presto it or several of them manifest after the need has passed.   Don't even get me started with the flat head and phillip's screw driver quests easy to find plenty of one and not the other. Dropped a screw today could not find it until I stepped on it .

On a good note I have a working zip drive and Jaz drive for a customer that has developed mind reading software for the NeXT , yes mind reading , and needs to back it up , yes there will be a scsi2sd solution but this is a little easier learning curve for demonstartion purposes. As a lot of the original Floppy software is toast it makes it easy to drop in on a zip disk . I've started using logmein, teamviewer or pcanywhere and previous to assist customers with questions about NeXT as I can demo it on their screen remotely cool stuff:) Best Regards Rob Blessin
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

cuby

Hi Rob,

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on September 11, 2020, 11:04:43 PMThe interactive NeXT exhibit in Germany

now that sounds interesting (though I'm stuck in Norway due to Corona...) - do you have more details on this interactive NeXT exhibit?

-- Michael

NeXTnewbe

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on September 11, 2020, 11:04:43 PMHello NeXT Community:  The interactive NeXT exhibit in Germany will be on a 100mb/1gb network with plans to upgrade to 10 gb.

Does anyone have original NeXT hardware working on a 1gb network ? If Yes please any tips ? 

Perhaps reconfiguring an old router to become a wifi bridge?

I think plans are to add some Mac Mini's which would open the door to a VMware NeXTSTEP/ Openstep Intel solutions where we have 10/100 drivers along with previous and may be the ability to write a 1gb VMware driver. Maybe it is not neccessary to write a driver....

I attached a very Rare NeXT Cube Fiber Optics Expansion FORE board I had awhile back , how far ahead was NeXT lol ... Fiber Networking early 90's... I never had the drivers for it.

Rob, I think the Fore board is ATM, which is not compatible with Ethernet, to make it work you will need to connect this to an ATM switch that also supports Ethernet