Sound driver crashes NeXTStep under VMware Fusion 3.1

Started by andreas_g, May 27, 2010, 12:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreas_g

I am using this sound driver for my virtual machine running NeXTStep 3.3 under VMware Fusion:

http://mitglied.lycos.de/Morgon_de/downloads/SoundBlaster16PCI-1.0.I.bs.tar.gz

I always had some problems using this driver. The system alert sounds worked just ok (like "ni.snd"), but on most other applications i do not hear any sound or just very very silent. These issues persisted from VMware Fusion v2.0.2 (first i tested) to v3.0.2.

But since I have updated VMware Fusion to v3.1 the sound driver crashes NeXTStep 3.3 after playing sound for the fraction of a second.
The system gets completely irresponsible (mouse cursor freezes, no keyboard input is recognized).

I think this driver needs some fixing.
Is there another sound driver for VMware virtual hardware out there?

eagle

I've noticed that too.  I want to upgrade to Fusion 3.1, but not if it means that my NeXT VMs won't work...

On a related note, do you know if it's possible to get audio input working in Fusion?  I want to use Lip Service, which I thought had been removed from the Intel versions.  I will be able to use Lip Service if I can get audio input working in VMware 2.x.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

kb7sqi

Quote from: "eagle"I've noticed that too.  I want to upgrade to Fusion 3.1, but not if it means that my NeXT VMs won't work...

On a related note, do you know if it's possible to get audio input working in Fusion?  I want to use Lip Service, which I thought had been removed from the Intel versions.  I will be able to use Lip Service if I can get audio input working in VMware 2.x.

I just updated one of my x86 laptops to Workstation 7.1 & noticed things started getting flakey also.  Just opening up Cables.app and hitting the Tab buttion caused the VM to lock up.  I haven't had that issue w/ the same VM & Workstation 7.0.  But back to using Audio Input working in the VM.  If I remember correctly, I don't think the driver supports Audio In, just Audio Out.  I'll have to test it here in a bit.   Eagle, got your email.  How the h*ll ya been man?  It's been too long.  I'll hit you up on IM the next time I see you on. :)

Edit: I confirmed that audio in don't work on VMWare fyi.  I wish it did.

eagle

Well, if that's all it is, I don't care.  I'll upgrade to Fusion 3.1 because otherwise 3.1 is very nice.  I'll disable sound and see if it runs fine.
My NeXTs:
All mono

eagle

So, yup, I have updated my VMs in Fusion 3.1 (using the trial key that they offered for the 3.1 beta), and they all work.  Guess I'll upgrade to Fusion 3.1.

I just wish the network driver worked in Rhapsody DR1.

And, I wish the audio driver worked still. :(

So, Andreas, I have confirmed that the VMs (NS3.3, OS4.2, Rhapsody DR1/DR2) all run fine without the sound driver loaded.  Thanks for the pointer.
My NeXTs:
All mono

Uli

I also can confirm that the sound driver crashes OPENSTEP 4.2. on Fusion 3.1.  :(

Seems now that video is solved, audio becomes the problem. :cry:

Unfortunately, at least on my Mac, I'm forced to upgrade to Fusion 3.1 as Fusion 3.0.2 complains about an outdated graphics driver since I updated to Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Apple changed the graphics drivers in 10.6.4). So there's just no alternative to updating Fusion to 3.1.   :shock:

Has somebody already tried to contact the author of the audio driver?

Uli

Morgon

Quote from: "Uli"

No one has contacted me yet. But even if, I can't help since I have no access to MacOSX or VMwareFusion nor do I have the time to debug and maybe fix the driver.

In the first place I wrote the driver for myself to get sound running with my Soundblaster16PCI. Just by luck that's just the chip VMware emulates so it works in there as well.

As stated in the driver itself I have no plans (and no time) to maintain or continue developing the driver unless it will fail on my own system. Sorry for that folks, but that's why I included source code with my driver so everyone can have a look at it for himself and fix things bugging him.

At the end maybe an idea. For my network driver VMwareFusion changed the emulated NIC with some update which can be undone by a setting in the configuration file. Maybe there is something similar happening with the sound driver now.

Sorry again for not beeing able to help.

Morgon

Uli

Quote from: "Morgon"
No one has contacted me yet.
Sorry for talking about instead of to you, but I wasn't aware that you participate in this forum. :oops:

QuoteIn the first place I wrote the driver for myself to get sound running with my Soundblaster16PCI. Just by luck that's just the chip VMware emulates so it works in there as well. [...] At the end maybe an idea. For my network driver VMwareFusion changed the emulated NIC with some update which can be undone by a setting in the configuration file. Maybe there is something similar happening with the sound driver now.
The Fusion 3.1 documentation (I have no idea if it is up-to-date) says it emulates the Sound Blaster ES1371 AudioPCI card. Is this the chip you refer to?

Edit: Uhm, yep, it is, as your website clearly states. Sorry for not remembering to look there at the moment I wrote this.

QuoteSorry again for not beeing able to help.
No need for an excuse! You've already provided a big service to the community by making your drivers available as is.  :D

I have little time myself, and unfortunately know little about writing drivers, but your source code certainly provides a starting point. I will try to contact VMware and find out what exactly changed in Fusion 3.1, and maybe this will provide a path to go on ...

Uli

Morgon

I have little time myself, and unfortunately know little about writing drivers, but your source code certainly provides a starting point. I will try to contact VMware and find out what exactly changed in Fusion 3.1, and maybe this will provide a path to go on ...

Uli

The sound driver was my first driver for NeXTStep as well.

In fact I did little more than take parts of the linux alsa driver and merge them with the driver examples available and put some PCI glue to it ;) Last one was the hardest part since I had to study the Darwin kernel sources a bit to find out how to adapt the ISA audio stuff I found in the driver examples to use the PCI bus instead.

Morgon

rmaniac

I am only on a fusion demo and am pretty sad to see this happening. Why dosn't everyone who owns the product put in a support ticket and see if just maybe they will take mercy on us. I just got a copy of NeXTStep 4 and since the VESA driver is a no go Fusion with VMFB is my only option. I would like to buy fusion but not if I am already stuck at 3.0 with it. If that fails maybe we can pass the donation can to convince someone to upgrade the sound driver to better work with it.

Thomas

I can confirm that the SoundBlaster driver also crashes NeXTSTEP 3.3 in VMware Workstation 7.1 on a Windows 7 64bit system.
When clicking to select a System Warning Sound in Preferences it you hear the beginning of a sound but in the same moment the system freezes dead. :cry:

I have never tried to write or even tried to modify a NS driver so I have no clue wher to start.
If somebody finds a solutionon or could give some (rather detailed) instructions  - or links to such - how to write a NeXTSTEP driver please post it here.
NeXTcube with NeXTdimension - OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation TurboColor - NeXTSTEP 3.3
NeXTstation mono

bkmoore

I've been following this thread with interest, and would like to help fix the driver, but I am not a programmer, I am a hardware designer.  I think the first step would be running the driver in a debugger to find out exactly why it is crashing.  Then it should be relatively easy to fix the driver.

I checked the developer documentation on debugging drivers, but didn't find much useful information.  It suggested using a dedicated machine for driver testing and using a logic probe.  Since Fusion is software, I think we need to find a software-based approach to debugging this driver.

Brian

Thomas

After restarting the VM NeXTSTEP reported some of the driver issues in the Console. I took a snap shot of the screen but have at the moment no way to host the images to post them here (why isn't it possible to directly attach images or files here??)
Also I have debugging enabled in VMware so I may already have what you need - I just need to find a way to post it.
NeXTcube with NeXTdimension - OPENSTEP 4.2
NeXTstation TurboColor - NeXTSTEP 3.3
NeXTstation mono

aragon

andreas_g

@Thomas

You can upload your screenshot to some free image hosting website; for example http://de.tinypic.com/, or just search the internet for "free image hosting".

Then you can link to that site in your post.

Thanks to everyone who helps fixing this driver!