Trouble Installing NEXTSTEP

Started by Atariangamer, June 19, 2010, 08:40:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atariangamer

Hey guys, I've been lurking all over these forums looking for a related issue but have found none.

In the search for a cheap/hand-me-down black box, I started to experiment with a white box. I had a Compaq Prosignia 165 laying around, and decided to give it a go.

Its a Pentium II, has a Floppy drive and CD drive, and has ATI graphics, so I got all my software, remade the floppy disks, and went to try it.

I would get all the way up to the greyscale NeXT Mach Operating System prompt, where it would start loading stuff and all that...But when it got to loading my drives, it said my hard drive was a capacity of 12MB, and refused to install.

I was using advice of a guide to make it work in VMWare, to choose the Adaptec 2940 for the CD, and the beta driver Dual IDE option. I also tried the EIDE on the beta disk, the IDE Controller on the beta disk, and also tried several manners of hard drive formatting. It was a 4.3GB drive, so I'm not sure what happened.

I then put in a 20GB HDD from another laptop. That laptop would have worked, except it can't use both the CD and Floppy at the same time, so I just pulled the hard disk from it. This time, upon loading, it said the drive had a capcity of about 3k or so MB. So it proceeded to let me begin installing. But when I got up to the partition options, it said that the drive had a total of nearly 8GB that I could use for NEXTSTEP to install on. I then told it to split the drive for DOS and NEXTSTEP, and went forward. Just after this, it said DRIVE INITIALIZATION ERROR. and quit the installation.

Any help? I've been working at this for a week with no success. I had a 500MB Drive, but seem to have lost it, so I only have these really big ones. Do I need to partition the big one differently? I'd also, if possible, like to use the 4GB drive instead of the 20GB...but it seems NEXTSTEP can't even start to load on the 4GB...

Any help would be appreciated.

UPDATE: I've been working at it more and more, with no success. Only thing I've noted is that the 20GB drive has a 'valid label', and my 4.3GB drive doesn't. I've tried all manner of combinations. of drivers, just not sure whats up.

Atariangamer

I kinda figured it out...

The 4.3GB drive still doesn't want to work. I can't get it to say anything more than a 12MB capacity.

I finally got the 20GB drive to do something, though. Only problem, I was just trying it out and gave it a 1GB partition. I'm gonna want a little more than that...

UPDATE:

Now I have a new problem: I load up NEXTSTEP after the initial installation, it tells me that the drivers weren't on the CD, and to put in the right Floppy disk. So I put it in, and its giving me loads of biosread errors and Bad superblock errors. And is apparently not finding my drivers (which I used from the beta disk)

brams

Hi

What version of NEXTSTEP is it you are using?

NEXTSTEP only supports 2gb partitions and smaller, how many partitions are allowed I forget.

The Laptop is a PII so I guess that means it's a i440bx chipset (which would mean an Intel PIIX Southbridge) this mean you'll need the EIDE driver.

Do however note that it's probably much easier to use OPENSTEP
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

Atariangamer

Trying to use NEXTSTEP v3.3

It appears that the installer only sees about 8000MB of that HDD, so I just made a single 2GB partition, and I'll use the rest for another OS.

I've been using the Primary/Secondary Dual EIDE and ATAPI driver, and have been having mild success (save for the fact it won't let me use my floppy drive to load the driver after installation). And I think when I tried the plain EIDE driver from the main drivers disk, it couldn't find all the disks (like the CD drive).

Also, what are the differences between the two? I've been looking at that for awhile now, and see nothing but a name change on the back end.

brams

Quote from: "Atariangamer"
I've been using the Primary/Secondary Dual EIDE and ATAPI driver, and have been having mild success (save for the fact it won't let me use my floppy drive to load the driver after installation). And I think when I tried the plain EIDE driver from the main drivers disk, it couldn't find all the disks (like the CD drive).

Not sure I understand? are you saying that after you've installed NEXTSTEP the floppy drive is not working?  It might be worth noting the on i486 that it's not really a PNP aware OS so some manual configuration of IRQ's etc  may be necessary (after you turned off PNP aware OS in the BIOS), I had conflicts with my floppy drive and sound card (AWE 64 Gold) on a 440bx PIII OS 4.2 box I made

Also, what are the differences between the two? I've been looking at that for awhile now, and see nothing but a name change on the back end.

You have me at a disadvantage and I'd be lying if I claimed to really know the difference between NS and OS, from my experience as a layman OS just supports newer x86 hardware and runs slower on m68k hardware.  As far as I've ever been able to tell as a user they are the same, however there are much better equipped people on this forum to really answer the question, so I'll let them chime in on that one.

You could also have a look at this site of David Shaw's (RacerX on the forums) which has a load of good info:

http://www.shawcomputing.net/resources/next/index.html
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

Atariangamer

OK, Whats happening is I load the boot floppy, then the drivers disk to grab the generic driver for the CD driver, then use the beta floppy to load the Primary/Secondary (Dual) driver. Its the only one that can detect both the CD and HDD at the same time. This enables me to start the installation, and load all the files to the HDD. I then restart, and go to boot NS. It comes up, trying to start the configuration, then goes BACK into the DOS like mode, and asks me to put in the disk that has the following driver (which is the Primary/Secondary (Dual)). But when I do this, I get all these "biosread" errors, so I can't load the driver again. Because of this, it then goes into a System Panic because it can't mount the root drive.

No other combination of drivers work for NS 3.3, but the problem is that I can't load the drivers when prompted.

EDIT: Finally found my BIOS utility, and found that the Floppy Drive, Hard Drive, and CDROM Drive all have separate controllers. Also saw no customization options for PnP or anything like that...
It seems it has (or had) the ability to custom change certain things using a legacy menu, but that has been grayed out. It just appears its impossible to change much of anything using this bios tool (which could probably be my problem).

I saw something in another topic about making a bootable CD of the drivers and all that. Is it possible to slipstream all these drivers into a single CD so that I can skip the problem so the solution can be loaded?

Or even better, I'll be meeting with a friend this week, and he has TONS of older systems. I'll try and see if he's got an older ThinkPad or one of the other laptops that are confirmed working. (I'd still like to get this one running, if possible, as its one of my oldest laptops that still has decent battery life)

Atariangamer

Alright, here's the computers:

IBM ThinkPad 240 (would need a way to copy the files onto the HDD, as it only has USB port)

Compaq Armada 1540DM (if it'd work, this would be best, as its battery is good, has a decent sized ram, and everything else)

IBM ThinkPad 380ED (big, clunky, and AFAIK, doesn't have video or sound drivers)

iDork

The ThinkPad 240 seems very similar to the 570 (which I have). According to the service manual it should have a floppy connector. External IBM floppy drives are still very common - check you nearest PC recycling shop or thrift store. The video card should work fine with the VESA driver included in OPENSTEP 4.2's Patch 4. I use an Adaptec PCMCIA SCSI card and an external TEAC CD-ROM to install OPENSTEP on my ThinkPad 570.
NS TurboColor,  SparcStation 5, Ultra 10, Octane SSI, HP 9000 C110, AlphaStation 200, Apple IIgs|IIe|IIc, Amiga 500+|600|1200, Commodore 64|128

Hi,

IIRC, the Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE driver is only useful for the install process.  You still have to add an EIDE driver to match your hardware.  Here's the install instructions from the OPENSTEP EIDE driver overview, but I believe they apply to NEXTSTEP as well.

QuoteNew Driver / Update Description:
Use the following installation instructions when installing from a CD-ROM drive connected to the secondary EIDE controller:

1. Select Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE and ATAPI
Device Controllers as the hard disk driver.

2. After the install program has finished reading
from the CD-ROM, the Configure panel will
appear. Double-click the Other icon. If the
Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE and ATAPI
Device Controllers driver is listed, remove it from
the list. It is no longer necessary since the
installation from the CD-ROM is complete. Add the
appropriate EIDE driver to match your EIDE
hardware configuration. You will need to add it
twice to get a second instance of the EIDE
driver to support the secondary EIDE
controller. You will need to set the IRQ to 15, and
I/O port address range to 0x170-0x177 in the
second instance of the driver, in order to avoid
conflicts with the first instance. Add any other
necessary drivers while in Configure, and then
click on the Save button.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA45776

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA45690

Atariangamer

OK, I decided to install it on the  380ED. Everything was successful, and I have it running...but the video is small, sound doesn't work, and I can't figure out how to load new drivers. Are there any ways to install drivers after the fact? I also have a 3COM PCMCIA ethernet card...