A porting question...

Started by odlumb, May 15, 2006, 08:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odlumb

I was a registered third-party developer for NeXT, wrote and published two apps for the community. Boy, does that seem like a long time ago.

I'm interested in porting one of my apps to Windows XP running on a very modern white box. I expect to re-write it in VC++ .NET, but I would like to get the original Objective-C source code files on the XP machine first.

What is the easiest/fastest way to get NeXT text files onto an XP/NT filesystem? The files currently reside on an external SCSI disk in NeXT format. I also have them on Exabyte tape, and I still have the tape drive.

I have two black hardware machines, both of them in boxes in my garage. I also have NeXTStep 3.3 for Intel on CD. But I was hoping for a faster/simpler solution than setting up a cube, or a white box. What do people recommened? I'm sure others have entered this territory before ;-)

cuby

The Linux UFS driver supports NeXTstep UFS filesystems (readonly AFAIK). So you could try attaching the SCSI disk to your PC and use a "live" Linux distribution like Knoppix to access the filesystem. I'm not quite sure, however, if Linux understands the NeXT partition scheme out of the box.

Perhaps you could also try porting your app to OS X? This would probably require quite a lot less effort than rewriting the app for XP :-)

Sound Consulting

You could probably try attaching the SCSI drive to a Mac running Rhapsody. But that's probably not any easier than booting one of your NeXTs and transferring the file over your network.

The reason I mention this is that I run Rhapsody, and recently inserted a NeXT CD-ROM, and was slightly surprised that it mounted correctly. I haven't tested a SCSI drive, but it seems possible that a SCSI drive would mount as successfully as a CD-ROM.

I'm in the PNW, but it's probably just as much trouble to connect your SCSI drive to one of my NeXTs as it would be to start one of yours. I never power down the NeXTs, so attaching a SCSI drive would actually be a bit of trouble (and there's always a risk with certain brands of SCSI drives that they'll trash other SCSI drives on the bus, at least that was the case with Quantum Atlas). Blah, blah, blah.