What Needs to be done for a NeXT Emulator

Started by cjbriare, August 16, 2010, 07:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eagle

I'm very excited to see this.  Keep up the work, guys - I really would love to see a m68k NeXT emulator!
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

gilles

Did not find what causes the deadloop for now, but I also had to switch for some days to another project (something a bit different, production statistics for Milkers :) ).
It may be DMA related or somthing wrong in BMAP registers...

gilles

It seems the RAM is not supposed to raise a bus error if you are in the correct range 0x04000000 0x05FFFFFF (because at this stage, bus error vector is not correct and ramsize is checked).

I now have 2 strange memory access to 0x06000000 and 0x07000000
Does anyone know what is mapped here? maybe some short internal registers?

gilles

more tests...
0x06000000 and 0x07000000 may be RAM banks on original Cube but I do not know exactly why it is tested in v66 BIOS.
I now have a problem with 0x02007000 that should be some global interruption register.
I've played a bit with debugger and could reach the "internal tests failed"

jvernet

--
Apple & NeXT

eagle

Quote from: "jvernet"The MacOsX Snow Leopard build is here:

http://perso.orange.fr/jerome.vernet/Softs/previousbin.zip

Gilles need help  !!

Gilles, how do we use this?  Nothing happens when I run "previous" from that archive.
My NeXTs:
All mono

itomato

I get:

dyld: Library not loaded: /sw/lib/libpng12.0.dylib
 Referenced from: /Users/*********/Downloads/previousbin/previous
 Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout

I don't have a '/sw' directory, and setting my LD_LIBRARY_PATH did nothing.

I have VLC installed, so I used that version of libpng.

mkdir -p /sw/lib
cp -aR /Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/lib/libpng12.0.dylib /sw/lib/
-itomato

andreas_g

@eagle and itomato:

To run the binary from jvernet you need these two things:

1. Create the directory "/sw/lib" and copy libpng12.0.dylib to that directory:

cd /
mkdir sw
cd sw
mkdir lib
cp /usr/X11/lib/libpng12.0.dylib /sw/lib

2. Copy the SDL Framework to the appropriate directory:

I assume your "previous"-binary is in the folder "previousbin" in the folder "x" --> "x/previousbin/previous"

Now you have to go the folder "x" and create the folder "Frameworks". Copy the SDL.framework (which you can get here: http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.14.dmg) to that folder --> "x/Frameworks/SDL.framework"

Now you can launch previous:
Go to the folder that contains the "previous"-binary and launch it:
./previous
@gilles:
Great work!

@jvernet:
Thanks for making this binary available to us!

eagle

Andreas, thanks for the instructions.

Gilles, neat!!!!  Keep up the good work.  I can't wait to see a NeXT hardware emulator!
My NeXTs:
All mono

jvernet

I really need to make a working package for MacOsX. As, for the moment, previous do not do a lot of thing...

Gilles, can you rememember here what do you need for people who have a Cube or NSLab mono in v66 ROM ?

I do not have any v66 system here, and my Mono Turbo (v72) do not work right now...
--
Apple & NeXT

gilles

mostly I need precise SCR1 and SCR2 values from a working mono 8mb (it can be a 040 cube or a station). I know SCR2 values are not constants but some bits are.
Also, if possible, I need the real time clock RAM value from a working mono, there is probably a checksum somewhere.
v66 ROM is better, but any mono eprom should be ok.

eagle

I'm not sure what version my systems are, but they are all mono non-turbo systems.  I have a prototype Cube with 3 motherboards (030, 040-25, 040-25), and two stations with 040-25 motherboards.  If you tell me what you need and how to get it, I'll do what I can to get it for you.
My NeXTs:
All mono

gilles

the 040 stations are probably more close to the actual state of the emulator.
We need somthing like a low level monitor that can read/write/display specific physical memory addresses.
I do not have a next station yet, I just work from documents.

jvernet

Quote from: "eagle"I'm not sure what version my systems are, but they are all mono non-turbo systems.  I have a prototype Cube with 3 motherboards (030, 040-25, 040-25), and two stations with 040-25 motherboards.  If you tell me what you need and how to get it, I'll do what I can to get it for you.

You can use the NeXT monitor (cmd+~ at boot) to display these registers.

Jerome
--
Apple & NeXT