NEXTSTEP in QEMU on a Mac

Started by ericj, August 04, 2006, 11:51:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericj

I have an Intel Mac mini, and I want to run NEXTSTEP 3.3 in QEMU. I know there is a patch for QEMU for fixing the mouse, but I have Apple's GCC 4.0. I tried compiling an older version of FSF GCC (3.4.5), but it didn't work. I also tried switching my default compiler to (Apple's) GCC 3.3, but it didn't work. I do have a PC, but it is too slow for emulation to be practical, and it literally takes 4 minutes to boot Windows 2000 and load my user account, and after that, Windows Explorer is too slow to use. Having NEXTSTEP run natively on my PC isn't an option, either, because I am required to have Windows on it. Does anybody know where to find a build with the patch for Intel Macs? I don't need a GUI or anything, I have used QEMU before from the command-line (in Mac OS X). If I cannot get it to work in QEMU, I will get a used NeXTstation.

cuby

gcc version 3.x isn't available for OS X on x86, so you'll probably be out of luck using the standard qemu sources (though there were some fixes for gcc 4 compilation on the qemu-devel ml).

But there is probably an easier solution - the Q project, which includes the gcc fixes and an OS X GUI.
I haven't tried building Q for some time on my intel Mac, but you might give it a try:

http://www.kju-app.org/proj/wiki/CompilingQ

(you need the subversion client installed to run the script).

AFAIK, the busmouse patch is not included in the Q sources, but it should apply without too many problems.

Let me know if you succeed using Q, otherwise I can have a look at building a binary for you tomorrow.

ericj

After I followed the instructions, it gave me the main QEMU sources, which I have already tested. There was also an error in applying the patch.

cuby

Yeah, I also had to tweak the source a bit but finally got a version that seems to work OK - I can install OpenStep 4.2 and the mouse pointer works, albeit a bit slow. I uploaded the x86 binary to:

http://ds.informatik.uni-marburg.de/~engel/Q.tar.gz

ericj

Thank you cuby. I will certainly be saving money in the future :lol:.

cuby

Well, it's always nice to have an original NeXT machine around - the ones offered by Blackhole, Inc. are not too expensive (at least if you don't want them shipped to Europe...).

The most inexpensive way to run NS or OS today is most probably a Pentium 2-class machine (which one can get for next to nothing), but more interesting is probably a Sun 4m-based SPARC machine like a SparcStation 4, 5, 10 or 20. These can be found for a few bucks at eBay. However, for NeXTstep 3.3, you need the RISC install media (for SPARC and PA-RISC). With OpenStep 4.2 (at least the media set I have here) the install CD is tri-fat: 68k, x86 and SPARC and boots right away on Sun hardware.

ericj

That's true, however, I am on a limited budget, and cannot buy a $299 NeXTstation Color Turbo at the moment (I prefer to have color capabilities, and I don't think Black Hole, Inc. is selling any NeXTstation Colors presently.). I don't have room for one either (yes, I know that they are fairly small).

brams

Quote from: "cuby"gcc version 3.x isn't available for OS X on x86.

Unless I missed the point, I seem to have gcc 3.3 on my MacBook Pro running XCode 2.3.

Last login: Fri Aug 11 21:15:23 on ttyp1
Welcome to Darwin!
MacBook-Pro:~ brams$ gcc_select --list
Available compiler versions:
3.3             3.3-fast        4.0
MacBook-Pro:~ brams$ sudo gcc_select 3.3
Default compiler has been set to:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1819)
MacBook-Pro:~ brams$
MacBook-Pro:~ brams$ hostinfo
Mach kernel version:
        Darwin Kernel Version 8.7.1: Wed Jun  7 16:19:56 PDT 2006; root:xnu-792.9.72.obj~2/RELEASE_I386
Kernel configured for up to 2 processors.
2 processors are physically available.
2 processors are logically available.
Processor type: i486 (Intel 80486)
Processors active: 0 1
Primary memory available: 1.00 gigabytes
Default processor set: 61 tasks, 196 threads, 2 processors
Load average: 0.07, Mach factor: 1.91
MacBook-Pro:~ brams$
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

cuby

Quote from: "brams"
Quote from: "cuby"gcc version 3.x isn't available for OS X on x86.

Unless I missed the point, I seem to have gcc 3.3 on my MacBook Pro running XCode 2.3.
Hmm, and if you actually try to compile something with gcc 3.3, you get:
$ gcc_select --list
Available compiler versions:
3.3             3.3-fast        4.0
$ sudo gcc_select 3.3
Password:
Default compiler has been set to:
gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1819)
$ cc -o t t.c
cc: installation problem, cannot exec `cc1': No such file or directory

There is a version 3.3 gcc available, but it's only a PPC cross compiler AFAIK.

brams

So gcc 3.3 in the Universal XCode is just there for the sake of being able to cross compile PPC binaries?.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

ericj

GCC 3.3 is in Xcode 2.x only to produce binaries for versions of Mac OS X before 10.4.