Main Menu

Games...

Started by RacerX, August 09, 2006, 05:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RacerX

So about a year ago I put up my Monsters from the Id page which looked at some Id Software games that had been ported to Rhapsody.

Well, during that time I've been watching a site called Macintosh Garden which has a pretty large collection of old games, basically to see if anyone had complained about that software being there... specially the Id games. And so far no one has.

Still, I'm not 100% comfortable linking to that site directly from my Id games page. Partially because Id not making them pull the software isn't the same as Id giving permission for them to post that software, and partially because I don't want to give any visitors the idea that I would be willing to share copyrighted software (I already get way too many request for copies of Rhapsody as it is).

So rather than post links on that page, I'll post the links here... After all, odds are most of the visitors to my site are already members here anyways. :D

The games available that correspond to Rhapsody ports on my Id page:I've played all the DOOM series games, but beyond that I have only played Heretic a little (it isn't my type of game). I haven't tried either Hexen or Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel which I believe are sequels to Heretic, though I believe they are supposed to work with Heretic.app.

Anyways, I thought I would post this just in case someone else is actually using Rhapsody also and wanted something fun that they could do on their system.

brams

Monsters from the ID, Forbidden Planet excellent movie ranks as one of my fave Sci-Fi movies along side This Island Earth & Colossus/The Forbin Project.  Effects in Forbidden Planet are breath taking even today IMHO.

IIRC 3d was really limited in Rhapsody, I think only Quake 3 supported Voodoo I cards not sure about Voodoo II.  Not sure if any other cards did 3d.

Have you ever tried a Rage 128 with the Mesa GL  library & Rhaspody, I had a look at your page and see you've used a Rage 128 with Rhapsody.

I played a lot of the old ID games and when I got a Voodoo I & II card it made playing them a lot more scary at the time but that was with Mac OS 7.6 & 8.1.

Do you have any idea if the Rage LT in a Wallstreet works with Mac OS X Server 1 & 3d?.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

RacerX

Quote from: "brams"Monsters from the ID, Forbidden Planet excellent movie ranks as one of my fave Sci-Fi movies...
Yeah, I love it too. It really was the template for Star Trek (even though Roddenberry didn't give it credit).

QuoteIIRC 3d was really limited in Rhapsody, I think only Quake 3 supported Voodoo I cards not sure about Voodoo II.  Not sure if any other cards did 3d.

Have you ever tried a Rage 128 with the Mesa GL  library & Rhaspody, I had a look at your page and see you've used a Rage 128 with Rhapsody.

I played a lot of the old ID games and when I got a Voodoo I & II card it made playing them a lot more scary at the time but that was with Mac OS 7.6 & 8.1.
The graphics in Quake II are pretty much the same as they were on Mac OS 8/9 systems without 3D supported video cards. The frame rate is faster... but that was the only change from the ixMicro Ultimate Rez (TwinTurbo 128M-3D with 8 MB VRAM) that I was using before the Rage 128. Which was expected as the Rage 128 has twice the memory.

I'm not sure that the Mesa GL drivers have any effect on Quake II as Omni did the port pretty early on (Quake II for Rhapsody was released before the Mac OS 8 version). I still have the Mesa GL drivers installed on my system, so I guess I should take another stab at Quake III to see if the Rage 128 is supported by them.

It would be fun to have Quake III up and running in Rhapsody.

QuoteDo you have any idea if the Rage LT in a Wallstreet works with Mac OS X Server 1 & 3d?.
I used  to play Quake II on my Wallstreet a lot, but it didn't play any better (or worse) than my 8600 does now... and that was using 1.2. I did try the Mesa GL drivers and Quake III on it back in 2002 (when it was still running Rhapsody) without any luck. But then again, I may not have installed them correctly or used the latest version (I have the last beta version on my 8600 now).

I gathered from my reading that at the time of Rhapsody development that Carmack was quite a fan of the VooDoo cards. It sounded like support for them was done mainly to keep him happy (even though Apple was already leaning towards ATI pretty heavily by 1998/99).

I can still recall Carmack demoing a beta version of Quake III on the Blue & White at the keynote were that system was release (which was the same keynote that Mac OS X Server 1.0 was released at). I'm pretty sure that that demo of Quake III was done in Mac OS 8.5 though.

Those were great times... Quake III was beta tested in the Mac community (and not in the PC community), and the final release for both Mac and PC came out at the same time. And there was even a version from Omni for Mac OS X Developer Preview 4 and the Public Beta (though I never got it to work right on my systems). I think Id brought the Mac OS X development back inhouse after the release of Mac OS X 10.0.x. I seem to recall Omni taking down their Quake III page by the summer of 2001. I believe Id's version is Carbon, so I don't think they used much of what Omni had done in making the final port to Mac OS X.

brams

Quote from: "RacerX"Yeah, I love it too. It really was the template for Star Trek (even though Roddenberry didn't give it credit).

I looked at buying an original promo poster for The Forbidden Planet a few years ago for my lounge to hang on the wall with a few other I already have,  sadly originals go for an absolute fortune.

I've got a few of your Star Trek renderings, USS Defiant, awsome they are.

QuoteI gathered from my reading that at the time of Rhapsody development that Carmack was quite a fan of the VooDoo cards. It sounded like support for them was done mainly to keep him happy (even though Apple was already leaning towards ATI pretty heavily by 1998/99).

I can still recall Carmack demoing a beta version of Quake III on the Blue & White at the keynote were that system was release (which was the same keynote that Mac OS X Server 1.0 was released at). I'm pretty sure that that demo of Quake III was done in Mac OS 8.5 though.

Those were great times... Quake III was beta tested in the Mac community (and not in the PC community), and the final release for both Mac and PC came out at the same time. And there was even a version from Omni for Mac OS X Developer Preview 4 and the Public Beta (though I never got it to work right on my systems). I think Id brought the Mac OS X development back inhouse after the release of Mac OS X 10.0.x. I seem to recall Omni taking down their Quake III page by the summer of 2001. I believe Id's version is Carbon, so I don't think they used much of what Omni had done in making the final port to Mac OS X.

I can see why he liked the 3dfx cards, at that time they where about the only decent gamers card, the ATI cards lacked decent frame rates and image quality was poor (textures looked crap and color wasn't as nice), I did try a card with a 3D Labs Permedia II and that sucked big time.  I'm not sure if it was the actual chips themselves that where better (I think maybe it was as shortly after nVidia buying them, nVidia got a lot better) or just the the Glide API was that much better then QuickDraw 3d  Rave.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.