OPENSTEP in QEMU with Color

Started by ericj, August 14, 2006, 06:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericj

I have a patched version of QEMU in which I am running OPENSTEP 4.2. How do I use color? I am stuck with 800x600 grayscale. I have Patch 4 installed, but if I choose the VESA driver, the refresh rate is listed as 0 Hz for all of the configurations. I am using the standard VGA card with Bochs VBE. I am willing to reinstall OPENSTEP just for color, if there is a problem with my installation. The QEMU Cirrus Logic card doesn't work right with the OPENSTEP Cirrus Logic drivers. Thanks in advance,

Eric

neozeed

I think you need to use the -std-vga flag for VESA to function correctly.
# include <wittycomment.h>

ericj

Specifically, I am using Q (the Cocoa front-end to QEMU). Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the "standard VGA card with Bochs VBE" option (in the PC configuration dialog) is the same thing as -std-vga. I think it may be a problem with my OPENSTEP installation. I'll try reinstalling it and the patch today.

ericj

I reinstalled everything (User, Dev, 3 patches), and still, VESA has to be 0 Hz. I'll try and look at the plist and see if that is the problem.

ericj

In the plist, the argument is, in fact, "-std-vga". Color is hopeless with that driver, then.

neozeed

It appears that if you install fixpack 4 it updates the VESA driver... Although I just got a copy of DR2, and its cirrus driver works pretty well.
# include <wittycomment.h>