Best vm or emulator for NS 3.3 Intel?

Started by ardi, March 03, 2015, 09:31:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardi

Hi,

Which one (VMWare or Virtualbox) is more complete and stable for running NeXTSTEP 3.3?

Alternatively, has anybody tried it with Bochs or PCem?

I'd like to have network emulation, sound, and stable graphics, mouse and keyboard.

What virtual machine or emulator would you recommend for getting the most stable and complete working system?

Thanks!

eagle

I use VMware Fusion, and it works great for everything except sound.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

ardi

Quote from: "eagle"I use VMware Fusion, and it works great for everything except sound.
Why? Doesn't NeXTSTEP support the Sound Blaster on Intel PCs?

eagle

It does, but the driver does not work in the latest versions of Fusion.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

jvernet

I recently (this WE) tried to install Openstep 4.2 on VMWare Fusion 6.0.5 (MacOsX 10.9) and VirtualBox 4.3.24 on W7:

- Fusion: no sound, working network, working screen at 1024x725 with VMwarefb1.1.1 driver, mouse working with VMouse. Crash (blue screen with an inverse 'u' in left corner) when selecting a better resolution.

- VirtualBox: sound, no network, some graphical glitch with VESA VBE drivers at 1024x7268

i will give a try for Rhapsody DR2 soon.
--
Apple & NeXT

eagle

jvernet, I forget how I did it, but I had OS 4.2 running at 1280x1024 with that driver.  I think you have to edit a file manually to set the resolution, but maybe I'm thinking of the manual config for the mouse.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono

pitz

Quote from: "jvernet"I recently (this WE) tried to install Openstep 4.2 on VMWare Fusion 6.0.5 (MacOsX 10.9) and VirtualBox 4.3.24 on W7:

- Fusion: no sound, working network, working screen at 1024x725 with VMwarefb1.1.1 driver, mouse working with VMouse. Crash (blue screen with an inverse 'u' in left corner) when selecting a better resolution.

- VirtualBox: sound, no network, some graphical glitch with VESA VBE drivers at 1024x7268

i will give a try for Rhapsody DR2 soon.

I use VirtualBox on W8.1 for running OPENSTEP 4.2 and Rhapsody DR2, though not extensively.  Can you provide additional details on the VESA driver glitches you've observed?

jvernet

Some horizontal lines sometime, when moving windows, that stay on screen for few second. Mouse pointer sometime leave some pixel around, also. Not very important.

The most annoying problem I am face is that mounting ISO image as CDROM do not work all the time. I may try to connect the virtual drive to an SCSI card, if I can.

mount do not work, need to reboot, and sometime more than once.
--
Apple & NeXT

pitz

Quote from: "jvernet"Some horizontal lines sometime, when moving windows, that stay on screen for few second. Mouse pointer sometime leave some pixel around, also. Not very important.

The most annoying problem I am face is that mounting ISO image as CDROM do not work all the time. I may try to connect the virtual drive to an SCSI card, if I can.

mount do not work, need to reboot, and sometime more than once.

Thanks for the info on the video glitches -- I'll watch for them on those occasions that I bring up my OPENSTEP virtual machine.

Regarding the mounting problems, I've definitely encountered issues with older versions of VirtualBox.  With the latest version of VirtualBox, the only issue I've had so far was that with high-end faster host systems, the out-of-the-box OPENSTEP EIDE driver would sometimes generate errors.  Upgrading to the EIDE drivers in the Beta Drivers disk fixed those errors.

jvernet

Quote from: "pitz"
Upgrading to the EIDE drivers in the Beta Drivers disk fixed those errors.
Witch version should be the best ?

I tried with different ones which seems to work also, but not from the beta drivers disk.

These drivers may also work with Rhapsody, isn'it ?
--
Apple & NeXT

pitz

Quote from: "jvernet"
Quote from: "pitz"
Upgrading to the EIDE drivers in the Beta Drivers disk fixed those errors.
Witch version should be the best ?

I tried with different ones which seems to work also, but not from the beta drivers disk.

These drivers may also work with Rhapsody, isn'it ?

If you could get the PIIX (v4.03) device controller to load, it should provide better performance.  Otherwise, the standard primary/secondary dual EIDE controller (v4.03) also works.  Both from the OS 4.2 beta drivers diskette.  I haven't attempted using them in Rhapsody.