Main Menu

Quadra 700 for Rhapsody?

Started by nextchef, October 03, 2006, 11:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Would a Quadra 700 work for running rhapsody, or is it too old?  I saw one at a local second hand shop this weekend, and was wondering if It might be good for that.  I did not have the opportunity to open it up and see if it had memory or drive, but the guy said "it worked when he took it in".

Chef

brams

Rhapsody needs a PPC  or x86 CPU to work, not an 040 like in a Quadra.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

nextchef

Quote from: "brams"Rhapsody needs a PPC  or x86 CPU to work, not an 040 like in a Quadra.

I was wondering about that, hence the question.

I dont suppose any version of NS/OS will run on it?

Thanks for the clarification.

Chef

brams

Quote from: "nextchef"
Quote from: "brams"Rhapsody needs a PPC  or x86 CPU to work, not an 040 like in a Quadra.

I was wondering about that, hence the question.

I dont suppose any version of NS/OS will run on it?

Thanks for the clarification.

Chef

I'm afraid not, I'd like nothing better than to see OS 4.2 on my 840av but ther hardware is too different.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

Jenne

A little bit off-topic:

is there any chance to obtain Rhapsody somewhere?

J

matrix01

EDIT: Comment removed by Admin

RacerX

I would point out that talk of obtaining Rhapsody in this manor is against the forums policies.

matrix01

hmmm I just gave a pointer or suggestion :idea: , not actually where to find it (like a link) guess I would leave it to the mod to make the interpretation...

And if someone does not know about these tools out there, I am wondering which rock they live under..

I personally believe in paying for goods that I intend to use..

RacerX

Quote from: "matrix01"hmmm I just gave a pointer or suggestion :idea: , not actually where to find it (like a link) guess I would leave it to the mod to make the interpretation...
If pointing or suggesting that someone take inappropriate means for obtaining software is something that you are unable to resolve ethically without the help of a moderator... then you have bigger issues.

QuoteAnd if someone does not know about these tools out there, I am wondering which rock they live under..
Drug use and the tools of that culture are well known by many too, but I would find posts about pointing people in that direction just as questionable.

But you obviously thought that Jenne must have been living under a rock as you took the time to tell about those tools. Otherwise you would have said nothing at all (which would have been a better course).

At any rate, I think that insulting Jenne because of your inabilities to follow forum policy is in poor taste. Jenne asked a perfectly reasonable and honest question.

QuoteI personally believe in paying for goods that I intend to use..
Good.

Then you should also believe in not pointing people down the wrong path... and passing it off as pointing them in the "right direction".

nextchef

Guys,

This is really getting off topic for this thread.

Take it to email/PM if you want to continue this "discussion", or open up a thread in the Lounge to discuss the ethical issues around this topic.

Chef

RacerX

Quote from: "nextchef"This is really getting off topic for this thread.
Thanks for your input... but the topic of the thread (Rhapsody on a Quadra) was DOA.

brams

I'd like to second what RacerX said, what we have is good here and we don't need to jepordize it by registering ourselves on the Feds radar for software theft or suggestion thereof, old or new, rightly or wrongly, Rhapsody is still copyright material and property of Apple Computer.  It's also quite clear if you take the time to read forum policies that this is a no-no.

Anybody that want's to help Jenne should know how to do it discreetly and not in public.  I'd suggest searching eBay for a copy.

Jenne

Just by the way: I never felt like "living under a stone" at any time so I would like to remark that I didn't get this one as an insult on my "knowledge" ;-) Somehow I think it was my fault to place a question like this because in times like these it automatically implies "illegal" thoughts somehow.

I'm sorry for this, please excuse my request!

@ brams:

eBay is a good hint as long as offers are send to my place... which is not "inside the U.S."... But thank You anyway!

J

brams

Quote from: "Jenne"Just by the way: I never felt like "living under a stone" at any time so I would like to remark that I didn't get this one as an insult on my "knowledge" ;-) Somehow I think it was my fault to place a question like this because in times like these it automatically implies "illegal" thoughts somehow.

J

I don't think you are wrong to ask how to get it, people here have legit (original) copies and perhaps somebody would like to sell you now or in the future, people also scan eBay and might spot it when you don't and alert you via this thread, thus in my book it's fair enough to ask "where or how to get it".  Obviously filesharing sites probably have it but I don't think you need any of us to tell you that, and this is not the place to share such information.

The issue is and rightly so, is that, by suggesting you go look for it at place X, kind of makes the forum a breeding ground for such further abuse if it does not go unchecked.  It also suggests the forum condones such action.  I think the case is one of respect for fellow board members, some of whom are software developers and I'm sure they'd get pissed at the thought the forum encourages file sharing.  I would and I'm not a developer.

Some forums seem to ignore the fact that filesharing is illegal in the context of copyrighted material.  This one does not ignore it.

What I'm trying to say is there are other places for it, not here.  That's my take on it anyway.

@ brams:

eBay is a good hint as long as offers are send to my place... which is not "inside the U.S."... But thank You anyway!

Whatever happens with you and eBay is between you and the trader.  You'd need to look for it, it's unlikely anybody who sells on eBay would contact you having read this thread, they'd expect you to go looking. :-)

brams

nextchef

Quote from: "Jenne"Just by the way: I never felt like "living under a stone" at any time so I would like to remark that I didn't get this one as an insult on my "knowledge" ;-) Somehow I think it was my fault to place a question like this because in times like these it automatically implies "illegal" thoughts somehow.

You do not need to apoligise for the request Jenne, as it was perfectly legitimate because there are ways to obtain the software legally.  If you had posted a request for where to download it, or could someone make you a copy, then you might have "done something wrong".

Chef