Main Menu

Quadra 700 for Rhapsody?

Started by nextchef, October 03, 2006, 10:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenzin

nextchef,

RacerX's answer to my question Minimum Spec PPC for Rhapsody and his website should contain everything you need to know

http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=349

If you have Tenon Intersystems MachTen, that will give you the BSD 4.3 or 4.4 Unix base of NeXTstep/Rhapsody, and X11, and there were versions for mk68 and PPC Macs, and it runs alongside Mac OS instead of being a separately booted system.

MachTen v4.14 version numbers were an exact match for Rhapsody, eg GCC 2.8 etc.

When I get Rhapsody installed, I'm going to be trying to start it's pasteboard and other daemons and Workspace Manager WM.app from MachTen and have Mac OS 8, X11 and Rhapsody concurrent if I can :)

Tenzin

RacerX

Quote from: "tenzin"If you have Tenon Intersystems MachTen, that will give you the BSD 4.3 or 4.4 Unix base of NeXTstep/Rhapsody, and X11, and there were versions for mk68 and PPC Macs, and it runs alongside Mac OS instead of being a separately booted system.
I've heard good things about MachTen, but I haven't gotten a chance to work with it.

tenzin

Tenon reduced the price for MachTen 4.14 from about $400 USD to $99 USD some years ago, and down to $50 USD for Codebuilder.

There was once a Rhapsody 5.3/OS X Server 1 version of MachTen and WebTen, their GUI and much improved implementation of Apache web server ... I have been trying to find this to buy.

However, Tenon are unresponsive on technical support and lost a lot of customers through this over the years. The only support available is the neglected usenet group comp.unix.machten.

They are as far as I know a lot more supportive these days to customers of their OS X incarnation of Machten, X-Tools.

Personally, I love it and intend in my slow schedule to get as much done in it as I can.

Machten 4.14 and Codebuilder 1.1 were designed to be Rhapsody compatible, and to be able to build an app with a choice of target platforms, Mac OS classic mk68 or PPC, Rhapsody, Solaris SPARC, SGI Irix MIPS and had support for interoperability with CodeWarrior, making it possible if a person imported the headers and includes et cetera from BeOS CodeWarrior, to setup up BeOS PPC as an additional target.

The GCC that comes with MachTen and CodeBuilder can generate PEF executables, very useful for any PPC OS fan not resigned totally to Linux :) Although, re Linux, MachTen and Codebuilder have Redhat RPM v2.5 so any Source RPMs from old Mklinux PPC, LinuxPPC or pre SuSE 6.4 are an additional source of applications.

It's possible the Mac OS classic native port of Emacs was a by product of such cross platform support, maybe RasMOL as well.

I often wondered what could be acheived if I also had Metrowerks CodeWarrior Latitude for Rhapsody ... cross platform freedom of a highest order perhaps :)

Tenon is a company I'd buy if I could afford it, purely for the skilled programmers and highly creative work they've done. Same for TipTop, the creators of ObjectiveEverything for Openstep and Rhapsody, another unique and indispensible suite of tools.

Tenzin

itomato

No Rhapsody/OSX on NuBus machines.   Only PCI machines are supported.

A/UX is the way to go for UNIX fun on a Quadra.  It's almost easier to get modern stuff working on A/UX than Rhapsody.  It is also easily obtained.
-itomato

Nightengale

Quote from: "nextchef"Would a Quadra 700 work for running rhapsody, or is it too old?  I saw one at a local second hand shop this weekend, and was wondering if It might be good for that.  I did not have the opportunity to open it up and see if it had memory or drive, but the guy said "it worked when he took it in".

Chef

I can report iMac Rev B works wonderfully and was very cheap h/w to get
NeXT Turbo Color 4.2, HP Pavillion w/4.2,MacBook Pro, PPC G5 dual 2.7 10.5.8, Imac G4 20 inch