Mathmatica on Previous?

Started by wlewisiii, March 08, 2019, 12:25:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wlewisiii

A number of years ago, I had a PA-RISC machine and bought a copy of Mathemaica 3.0.2 from Black Hole. I never did get a valid number from Wolfgang but I still have the disc i got back then.

I recently discovered Previous and am trying to get various things up and running again. Improv is as fun as ever :)

So will my copy of Mathmatica run on Previous and is it possible to do so legally?

Thanks![/quote]

tomaz

There are several versions of Mathematica 3.0.x CD-ROMs, I have some which are quad-fat and some which I think are not.

Provided you have a copy of Mathematica 3.0.x which will run on black hardware, Mathematica will start, but without a password specific to your MathID, it will then refuse to go beyond checking whether you have a valid license.

If you acquire a password valid for a physical NeXT, you can use that password in the emulated computer, so long as you set up the emulated NeXT so that it's MAC address matches your physical computer's MAC address (Previous allows the emulated computer's MAC address to be configured).

As for legality, Mathematica 3 license says "The software may be run on the type(s) of computer(s) described in the Product section of Your License Certificate. If there is a Binary Kit(s) section in Your License Certificate, You may also use version(s) of the Software described as being intended for use with other types of computers with those other types of computers. If your License Class is a Single-Machine License, You are authorized to run concurrent Processes up to the maximum number specified on Your License Certificate; however, all Processes must run on a single computer. ... This license does not allow You to: ... b. run the Software on a computer associated with a Product Class greater than the Product Class specified on the License Certificate. c. run the Software described in the Product and Binary Kit(s) (if present) section(s) of Your License Certificate on a computer of a type other than the type(s) of computer(s) described in the Product and Binary Kit(s) (if present) section(s)."