Main Menu

Blue Box / Yellow Box ??

Started by nextchef, October 05, 2006, 04:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nextchef

Would someone refresh my memory as to the history of these.  Is the Blue Box a MacOS environment, similar to classic in OSX?  Then the yellow would refer to the Rhapsody environment?  Is the blue box some sort of software virtual machine, or is it running directly off the hardware like parallels does on the intel mac.

Mabey RacerX would be kind enough to whip up a little article explaining it all.

Chef

nextchef

Quote from: "ash"http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000257.html

Thanks for the link.  I will have to get comfey on the couch before diving into it

Chef

RacerX

Blue Box wasn't a emulator, it passes most of the tasks (like the processor and video tasks) directly to the hardware... but on the other hand, memory management was controlled by Rhapsody (which makes it a more stable system than the normal Mac OS running on it's own).

Also, unlike emulators Blue Box doesn't hide the hardware it is running. When I open System Profiler in Blue Box it correctly identifies my system as an 8600/300.

As for where Blue Box went from there... it is still around to a degree today.

There are two environments that make up Classic in Mac OS X... the first is the startup environment (which is rooted in a window) and is a pretty direct descendant of Blue Box. The second is the rootless environment (TruBlueEnvironment), which is handed the system operations after startup.

Quote from: "ash"http://www.drunkenblog.com/drunkenblog-archives/000257.html

From the link:
    "Run the Classic Mac OS as a separate process from with Rhapsody, so that people were able to run their run their current applications in a separate window, similar to VirtualPC. This was the BlueBox.[/list]Obviously this person had no connection to (or any experience with) this stuff.

Blue Box was never rooted in a window, it took over the full screen. Switching between apps was the same as it was for Rhapsody and the Mac OS by itself... all apps get listing in the applications menu (in both Blue Box and Yellow Box).

One limitation of Blue Box was that it can't use more than one display... but you can set up Blue Box to use the second display. I run this way on my 8600, though I don't use Blue Box too often. It is nicer to spread my Yellow Box apps out over both displays. Create works better this way (with palettes on the second display) and I usually have ToyViewer and TextEdit open on the second display too.