Microsoft Word on NeXTstep....

Started by Andreas, October 06, 2006, 01:22:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas

...not really, but thanx ARDI a nice gimmic:

nextchef

Huh???  So what exactly are we seeing here, some kind of remote desktop connection or photoshop trickery.

Chef

Andreas

Quote from: "nextchef"Huh???  So what exactly are we seeing here, some kind of remote desktop connection or photoshop trickery.

Chef

You are seeing real working Macintosh Applications, MS Word 5.1 and Excel 4 with the Help of Executor from ARDI.
Executor runs on m68k NeXT without CPU Translation, so the speed is usable for both Applications.  They are integrated transparent into NeXTstep, if you double-click a Word Document or an Excelsheet, the Apps will start like a NeXTstep native one.

For the Excel shot: Executor 1.30e in black and white mode;
Word shot: Executor 2.0 in 256 color mode (unfortunatly color is not seen except for the sidebars)

RacerX

Executor was a Mac emulator for NEXTSTEP... but it didn't quite use the Mac OS... it had it's own version of the Finder, and was about on par with System 6.0.8 for compatibility as I recall.

I have an old demo version, but I haven't had it installed on any of my systems since around 2000.

Andreas

Quote from: "RacerX"Executor was a Mac emulator for NEXTSTEP... but it didn't quite use the Mac OS... it had it's own version of the Finder

Versions prior V2 doesn't have a finder, they launch only applications like Word or Excel. And V2 have also this feature, you don't need the finder thingy from ARDI. You double-click a Word-document and MS Word was launched (with Executor in background)

tenzin

Quote from: "nextchef"Huh???  So what exactly are we seeing here, some kind of remote desktop connection or photoshop trickery.

Chef

Andreas, do you have Photoshop for mk68 System 7 to run in NS Executor ? :)

Tenzin

Andreas

Quote from: "tenzin"

Chef

Andreas, do you have Photoshop for mk68 System 7 to run in NS Executor ? :)

Tenzin

Not Yet. I have a version of Phtoshop 4 wich runs but doesn't let load any picture (so really senseless :-)), and my Photoshop 3 diskettes have an read error.