3D Printed NU_IO Case

Started by rbz, September 13, 2020, 10:25:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rbz

When I ordered my NU_IO I reached out to Brian about designing a case for them, after a couple of questions about things he would like to see and getting the dimensions of the board I started on the design and came up with the following case.

PXL_20200913_024426371.jpgPXL_20200913_024246078.jpgPXL_20200913_024444172.jpg

The case is printed in five pieces, the top, bottom, rib, case feet and the swappable back plate. The rib is printed separate so it can be printed in a different color than the main case (in this case a gloss black), the back plate, top and bottom are printed in a semi-matte (unfortunately hard to tell from the pictures) black, and the feet are printed in TPU (flexible plastic). The back plate was designed to be swappable to allow future revisions of the board and not having to reprint the whole case, plus it allows the plate to be printed flat to get more readable text from the print.

The rib captures the back plate and grips the top of the case to stay secure and the whole thing is held together with 4 M3 screws, which are then covered by the TPU case feet.

PXL_20200913_023121900.jpgPXL_20200913_023642120.jpg

I am super happy with how this case came out and it looks great sitting next to my NeXTstations.
Turbo Slab - N4000A, nonADB, SCSI2SD 5.1, 32m
Turbo Color Slab - VGA, ADB, NU_IO, SCSI2SD 5.1, 128m
Cube - 030 16m, 2x SGI Octane, Sun SPARCclassic

rbz

Couple more photos of the assembly

PXL_20200913_023226466.jpgPXL_20200913_023351960.jpgPXL_20200913_023339557.jpgPXL_20200913_023531967.jpgPXL_20200913_024212224.jpg

Some details about the print itself:
I usually print on a glass bed, but as you can see on the picture of the bottom of the case this produces a high gloss finish even for the semi-matte black, so I switched to an older buildtak surface for the top of the case which produces a nice matte finish, but also allows it to pick up some light impressions of previous prints or scuffs on the surface. Its less noticeable in person than the pictures.

These parts were printed with Hatchbox Black PLA for the rib, Polymaker PolyMax PETG for the top, bottom, back plate and Sainsmart TPU95 for the feet. All parts were printed with 0.2 layer height except the rib section which was 0.15. No support was used, and only the rib was printed with a raft. The printer is a Raise3D N2+ with a Bondtech upgrade.

If there is an interest I can see about providing the STL files, the models do have a couple of tight tolerances so hopefully it would be easily printable by others.

barcher174

The cases are absolutely beautiful in person.

Rbz really hit it out of the park with this. The way it all fits together was -very- well thought out. I think I was supposed to provide some constructive criticism, but frankly I think it's perfect.

Theta-K7

Those are gorgeous.  Definitely would like the STL files so I can print up a couple for my own NU_IO boards.

krazycat

Nice project, congratulations. I had a shell for the Brian's NU_IO printed with an identical look to the original Soundbox. Unfortunately the printing service that made the shell doesn't want to give me the STL files 🙁
NU_IO-3d.jpg

trodemaster

Yo I could use a couple of these as well after lighting myself up touching the bottom of these boards!

rbz

Quote from: trodemaster on September 23, 2020, 03:26:25 PMYo I could use a couple of these as well after lighting myself up touching the bottom of these boards!
Quote from: Theta-K7 on September 13, 2020, 10:58:31 PMThose are gorgeous.  Definitely would like the STL files so I can print up a couple for my own NU_IO boards.

I am making a few tweaks to the design, and then I will be happy to send out the STL to whomever wants to print a case for their own personal use.

Quote from: krazycat on September 14, 2020, 12:36:54 AMUnfortunately the printing service that made the shell doesn't want to give me the STL files 🙁

Ugh, that blows! I was thinking of doing a soundbox based design but I don't have a soundbox to replicate.

rbz

So I ended up a redesign of the case, which I feel makes it a more polished product at the end.

The "core" of the case is now printed in Prusament Galaxy Black PETG and the edges and corner piece are in the Polymaker PolyMax Black PETG . The center rib and back plate are still in Hatchbox Black PLA and the feet are in Sainsmart Black TPU95. As before M3x10 screws hold the case together.

nuio2_front.jpgnuio2_top2.jpgnuio2_back.jpgnuio2_bottom.jpg

Assembly is straight forward, the edge pieces slip over the top and bottom pieces, the rib slips over the top, the back plate slides into the slot in the rib and the corner piece pops and is held in place with a dab of glue.

nuio2_pieces.jpg

rbz

Original design is available for download on Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4615196

This includes the original case as pictured above, a version of the rib without the front logo, and a version that combines the top and rib section with logo as a single piece for easier single filament, single color printing.

Share your prints! If you end up having issues with it printing let me know and I will see what I can tweak.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello RBZ: I am looking forward to having the cases available as I'm already getting request.Your timing on this is perfect for me as a lightbulb went off. The past few weeks I've been tinkering with 90's technology specifically Zip and Jaz Drives . In the heyday they were the go to back up solution, all I know is the reliability of the media as well as the age of the hardware sent me down the rabbit hole.

In a moment of clarity the obvious solution is a SCSI2SD external for backup , easy as though a weight has been lifted from my shoulders.

I bought a total of 21 Jaz disks. The first 17 had media errors some would mount momentarily none would successfully format or initialise, I returned them; the seller was aware of the issue and just refunded the $49.

Out of caution, I bought 4 more of them that said in the listing tested and formatted , well after many tries these also are duds.

I have 3 Jaz drives, same results , same unique media errors matching the disk on all 3 drives so the drives themselves seem to work.

Long story short all these old Jaz drives and Zip drives are going into a historical box.

I was able to get one of the zip drives working and even a few disks but for my sanity, as customers are going to be using these for backups. Not hobbyist projects but important money making projects, the SCSI2 SD will be the best solution and covers me.

An internal SCSI2 or 2 and an external SCSI2 should cover all future backups and we can write it to modern hardware and use Previous as a bridge.   

All I need are a few of the cases to test and I'm guessing the 50 pin connectors and well we need to modify  the case for scsi2sd as this one is for the sound card, hopfuly it is possible as the look is awesome.:)  Thank you in advance for making a nice NeXT case solution.
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

nextchef

Finally a "valid reason" to get a 3D printer. ;)

Nice work on the case rbz!

msch

@rbz: nice work and a big ,,thank You!" - I ordered my NU_IO case today :-)
Best regards

Mathias

mattsoft

Wait, are these cases available to buy now?

msch

Best regards

Mathias

bheron

Quote from: krazycat on September 14, 2020, 12:36:54 AMNice project, congratulations. I had a shell for the Brian's NU_IO printed with an identical look to the original Soundbox. Unfortunately the printing service that made the shell doesn't want to give me the STL files 🙁
NU_IO-3d.jpg

That is absolutely identical to the original soundbox.
---
Gregory John Casamento
GNUstep Lead Developer