3C589D using RJ-45 on Rhapsody possible?

Started by larbob, December 06, 2020, 02:48:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larbob

I've been trying to get a 3C589D using a 3COM 10/100 dongle to work on Rhapsody DR2. According to this post http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/index.php?topic=8.msg27#msg27, you should be able to add ",Connector=RJ-45" to the auto detect ID string in order to force RJ-45, but for me that just makes Rhapsody not create the interface at all as it stops detecting the card as compatible with the driver. I have the same issue as the other poster in that thread where Rhapsody just says the card is using AUI.

I've tried 3 different 3C589D cards, two being vanilla 3C589Ds (10BASE-T + Coax) and one being a 3C589D-TP (10BASE-T only). I've also verified the IRQ, base I/O address, etc. are set correctly using the DOS drivers.

larbob

It seems like somehow all of the dongles I have are incompatible with the cards I have. I have dongles from 10/100 3COM cards even though I don't even own those cards! Haha. Looks like I need to buy the proper dongle from somewhere.

larbob

pb3623

I know I'm resurrecting a thread from the dead, but @larbob, do you recall which dongle you used?

Trying to get networking going on my IBM ThinkPad 560 for the last 15 months, following any online blogs (pappp.net, RacerX's site, here, Usenet archives). I'm out of ideas - my issue is with the nonexistent BNC interface rather than AUI but it should be the same root issue.

I have the following 3Com PCMCIA hardware:

• 3C589-C
  • 3C589-D
  • 3C589-TP (2 of these)
  • 1 3C589-to-RJ-45 female dongle
  • 1 3C589-to-RJ-45 male cable (i.e., basically a ~3m ethernet cable that has the 3C589 connector on one end with status lights)

With all four cards I have saved the following settings via INSTALL.EXE and recalled them on another machine to ensure they stuck:

Base I/O: 300h
IRQ: 3
Media Type: RJ-45 (not Auto or BNC)
OPENSTEP/Rhapsody 5.1 DR2 Intel strings changed to '3C589D' where appropriate (left as-is for 'C')
No "Connector=RJ-45" added to Auto-Detect string or as a separate Expert option.
Static IP/Netmask/DNS/no NetInfo

• Under OPENSTEP 4.2 Intel: NO: Card correctly detected as C or D variant, en0 iface created but continues to look for BNC - cannot ping gateway or localhost
  • Under Rhapsody 5.1 DR2 Intel: NO: Card correctly detected as C or D variant, en0 iface created but continues to look for BNC - cannot ping gateway or localhost
  • Under NetBSD 5.1 i386:: YES! WORKS with zero add'l OS configuration, with either media type so it's not the cabling, dongle or pinouts

@larbob, I ask again if you recall how you straightened this out. I agree that adding the ",Connector=RJ-45" business to the Auto Detect ID String breaks the entire detection. Does the driver need to be edited to remove references to the BNC interface? Do I need to buy the combo dongle just to make this work?

larbob

Quote from: pb3623 on August 14, 2023, 05:00:29 PM@larbob, I ask again if you recall how you straightened this out. I agree that adding the ",Connector=RJ-45" business to the Auto Detect ID String breaks the entire detection. Does the driver need to be edited to remove references to the BNC interface? Do I need to buy the combo dongle just to make this work?

From what I recall, some of the dongles I had just didn't work (maybe for another similar 3Com card?), and I went out of my way to find one explicitly for the 3C589D. However, that seems to maybe not be your issue since it's working fine in NetBSD.

pb3623

:-X  I was afraid you were going to say that...

If it's not the network, the cable, the dongle or the card, it has to be the OS (driver) or its sensitivity to one of the former.