Previous working on Apple Silicon (natively!)

Started by larbob, December 30, 2020, 08:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andreas_g

Quote from: zombie on July 26, 2021, 10:04:10 PMI notice that the emulator bombs and runs more buggy when using 60ns memory instead of 70. Is there a chance that is bad interplay with the variable CPU speed?

Because Previous does not yet simulate memory timings the memory speed preference has no real effect. It just reports different memory to the guest system. What kinds of bugs or crashes do you experience? Can you reproduce the problems? If yes, it would be great if you could give me an instruction on how to reproduce it and I'll see if I have the same problem here.

zombie

Well to be honest, almost all the time when I run the NeXTdimension on a turbo cube, filled to the top with memory, set to variable CPU and 60ns memory in part, but even with 70ns memory. The bugs/hangs are random seeming, so not sure I can reproduce a particular action chain.

That said, the very same setup but using a next turbo color station instead, is significantly more stable.

andreas_g

What happens when the issue occurs? Does it only happen using variable CPU speed mode?

zombie

I haven't tried it with non variable. I will do so and report back.

andreas_g

What symptoms occur with the issue (kernel panics, crashing applications, drawing glitches, etc)?

dotsam

Just as a note, I was also able to build the current trunk version of Previous from https://sourceforge.net/p/previous/code/HEAD/tree/ along with sdl2, zlib, libpng, libpcap and cmake from Homebrew. I might even make a Homebrew formula to make this easier for others.

I originally thought there might be been an issue with the emulation as I was having strange issues compiling software, but after trying the same with an x86 build under Rosetta 2, I don't think it's the Apple Silicon part that's the problem (if Previous is even the problem).

andreas_g

Can anyone test if Performance is still the same in variable speed mode using the new SDL2 v2.0.16?

pomosapien

This is a cool result.

Even if you don't get more clock in the guest, being able to use less CPU on the host is beneficial, in terms of heat, battery and host multitasking.

ExFruityNextGuy

Hi All,

I've built a Apple Silicon native (no special workarounds required to use) version of Previous 2.4 (r1124). If anyone wants it DM me. Or you can just email (disposable address) helots06spacers (at) iCloud (dot) com

pomosapien

> Can anyone test if Performance is still the same in variable speed mode using the new SDL2 v2.0.16?

Did anyone do this?  What is the baseline for comparison?

andreas_g

Quote from: pomosapien on April 08, 2022, 02:11:18 PM> Can anyone test if Performance is still the same in variable speed mode using the new SDL2 v2.0.16?

Did anyone do this?  What is the baseline for comparison?

This is no longer relevant. Thank you anyway.

pomosapien

Was messing about with variable clock mode. Statusbar speeds vary between 60 and 120 when compiling or downloading from the forum.  Ran nwbench:

andreas_g

Quote from: pomosapien on April 11, 2022, 01:10:50 PMWas messing about with variable clock mode. Statusbar speeds vary between 60 and 120 when compiling or downloading from the forum.  Ran nwbench:

For comparing performance between different systems and versions I do the following:
  • Configure Previous to simualte NeXT Computer (68030) with variable speed mode
  • Boot NeXTstep 1.0
  • Click and hold the title bar of the Workspace window
  • Wait until the Statusbar speed settles and note it

This is of course no real benchmark, but the easiest way for comparing.

mikeboss

thanks to forum member @ExFruityNextGuy we finally have a fully working universal binary of Previous! this is version 2.4 (r1124). do not forget to right-click -> open when starting the app for the first time on your Mac.

download:
https://mega.nz/file/U4J2iIBZ#FVitwoQZIewFhMAYfNGxSVgtns3NI8BvG-alnuJc7_g
October 12, 1988 Computing Advances To The NeXT Level

eagle

Thanks, mike. I will put it on my site soon, after I test it on my M1 MBA.  I was meaning to get up with that user to grab that version.
My NeXTs:
NeXT Computer prototype (68030-25 x2, 68040-25)
Two NeXTstations (68040-25)
All mono