Turbo slab LED blink codes diagnosis and repair

Started by fantome, May 31, 2022, 08:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fantome

Hello,

I've been troubleshooting an issue with my turbo also with Rob Blessin, who encouraged me to post here.

My slab had been running fine until a recent power outage. When I went to start it up, I got a black screen an no discernible activity. Pulling the lid off, I observed the LED near the battery flashing a repeated pattern of four flashes. Also, the PS fan did not spin up, but the PS itself baden warm to the touch after a few minutes.

This appears to indicate the NVRAM star in the clock chip is bad. The battery itself was measured at 3VDC.

Rob suggested it might be time for a board recap, so I am looking for more information regarding that procedure and if a failed cap could produce the blink code I am experiencing. Also, would a bad NVRAM/clock chip result in no video out an no fan?

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Brian or anyone are you available for this one ? I'm not sure what it means....
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

barcher174

Yeah caps can for sure cause this. There are some traces near the RAM slots that get damaged from leakage specifically that can cause this. The clock chips themselves are another frequent failure, but I always start with the caps.

fantome

Quote from: barcher174 on June 05, 2022, 12:40:27 PMYeah caps can for sure cause this. There are some traces near the RAM slots that get damaged from leakage specifically that can cause this. The clock chips themselves are another frequent failure, but I always start with the caps.

Thanks for the response. It is my understanding that there are a few on the board that do this sort of work. Is this true? Who should I contact?

Regards

fantome

Quote from: fantome on June 05, 2022, 01:57:48 PMThanks for the response. It is my understanding that there are a few on the board that do this sort of work. Is this true? Who should I contact?

Regards

Are there any instructions on how to do it?

MrPix

I will offer a full recap service in due course. I'll also offer SMD component level repairs for any non-custom ICs. Everything up to and including replacing damaged SIMM slots or DIN41612 connectors. I'm also able to remove and socket 680X0 for people who might want that.

I'll keep it reasonable so it is affordable to everyone.

fantome

Quote from: MrPix on June 07, 2022, 03:42:08 PMI will offer a full recap service in due course. I'll also offer SMD component level repairs for any non-custom ICs. Everything up to and including replacing damaged SIMM slots or DIN41612 connectors. I'm also able to remove and socket 680X0 for people who might want that.

I'll keep it reasonable so it is affordable to everyone.

Message sent.

fantome

Six Month Update:
I am not pleased to take such aggressive action, but I think I need to at this point.

I sent my motherboard (fully populated with 33MHz '040 CPU and 32MB RAM), power supply and fan to MrPix for diagnosis and repair.

I last heard from him on 8/23/22 in which he indicated that he was awaiting a part (apparently a clock chip).

I have not heard from him since despite several attempts by myself and on my behalf to get a progress update and/or the return of my parts.

His last login here was on 9/10/22.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello Fantome: I will try him again for you as well and I'm not sure why he has not followed through on this repair process or simple communication with you :)  Best regards Rob Blessin  If it helps I would send you a Color motherboard non Turbo , it works for free all you need is ram , just cover the shipping  $20 in the US , this would at least get you back up and running provided you have NON ADB components until he awakes from AFK itis .   I have some ram that would work $32 for 32Mb max on Color Motherboards. 
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com

fantome

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on December 07, 2022, 04:28:17 PMHello Fantome: I will try him again for you as well and I'm not sure why he has not followed through on this repair process or simple communication with you :)  Best regards Rob Blessin  If it helps I would send you a Color motherboard non Turbo , it works for free all you need is ram , just cover the shipping  $20 in the US , this would at least get you back up and running provided you have NON ADB components until he awakes from AFK itis .   I have some ram that would work $32 for 32Mb max on Color Motherboards. 

Thanks for the generous offer Rob, but my system is ADB...

Regards,

-k

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello Fantome: I did hear from Dave , so he is scheduled for open heart surgery (his second) in January. I'm going to do you a solid here Fantome and see if I have a working Turbo Color motherboard as they are notorious for failing , I think I do , if it has new caps and I paid $75 for them , if you can reemburse me, cool . 

So if you have an shipping address just PM me and if you cover shipping , I'll put some ram on it lol that way you will have a working NeXT in the interim . Dave well, I think will eventually make good and repair the board when he is in better spirits and better health. We can cross that bridge on what to do when he actually has the repaired board. I'll let him know what I'm doing , I think it is the right thing to do here as I'm quantum entangled in this one lol and hey it is the NeXT community. Happy Holidays! ho ho ho Cheers Rob Blessin

fantome

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on December 08, 2022, 09:18:06 PMHello Fantome: I did hear from Dave , so he is scheduled for open heart surgery (his second) in January. I'm going to do you a solid here Fantome and see if I have a working Turbo Color motherboard as they are notorious for failing , I think I do , if it has new caps and I paid $75 for them , if you can reemburse me, cool . 

So if you have an shipping address just PM me and if you cover shipping , I'll put some ram on it lol that way you will have a working NeXT in the interim . Dave well, I think will eventually make good and repair the board when he is in better spirits and better health. We can cross that bridge on what to do when he actually has the repaired board. I'll let him know what I'm doing , I think it is the right thing to do here as I'm quantum entangled in this one lol and hey it is the NeXT community. Happy Holidays! ho ho ho Cheers Rob Blessin

You're too kind, PM in-bound.

-k

fantome

The parts from Rob (thx!) arrived today and I am happy to have my NeXT back:

My retro unix lab is whole again:

Now if I can just get my NeXT laser printer working again...

crimsonRE

Glad that Rob could get you up and running!
Your room there looks like a neater version of my computing cave - though I did my collecting many years ago so have multiples of most things: NeXT cubes & slabs, SGI Indigos, Indigo^2's, Indys, O2 & PowerSeries beasts, and Sun lunchboxes & pizzaboxes stuffed into the cave. Plus several generations of Apple Macs, with PPC machines giving me access to most online info. Not a Windoze machine in sight...