Oracle VirtualBox OPENSTEP 4.2 mouse

Started by wizard, November 02, 2022, 01:49:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wizard

I am running OPENSTEP 4.2 with Oracle VirtualBox 6.1 on Debian 11.

Everything works great, but I have one smallish problem, the mouse support is kind of wonky.
The mouse pointer stutters quite a bit , not enough to be terrible but it is annoying.  I have PS/2 mouse
selected in VirtualBox. I tried adjusting mouse speed in OPENSTEP, but it just makes it worse.

I have also thought about switching to QEMU but I am not sure if that will be better.

cuby

PS/2 mouse support seems to be a bit problematic in OPENSTEP - I had a problem with a stuttering mouse cursor running on early qemu versions. I wrote a bus mouse emulation for ancient qemu in 2005. Amazingly, my original accouncement of the patch can still be found online.

It seems that there is sample code for a VirtualBox extension that emulates a bus mouse. Maybe this is an alternative worth trying? Beware, I never tried compiling or using that extension.

nuss

Hallo @wizard , you are using a very similar environment to mine.

Not sure if my mouse config would be good enough for your purposes, but for me it works smooth and usable enough.

Please have a look into the following screenshots of Preferences and Devices to find my settings and the extra mouse preferences package I am using.

Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-50-58.png
Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-51-47.png
Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-53-02.png
Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-53-30.png
Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-53-58.png     

Due to "5 images per post" limit to be continued in next post ...
DON'T PANIC

nuss

... and here the final picture of the preference package name GKMouseScaler, with which you can fine-tune all acceleration levels of the mouse movement:

Screenshot_2022-11-07_08-58-08.png

DON'T PANIC

wizard

Thank you for the screenshots. Is The GKMouseScaler available online somewhere?

wizard

Never
Quote from: wizard on November 08, 2022, 05:43:37 PMThank you for the screenshots. Is The GKMouseScaler available online somewhere?

Never mind, I found it on ftp.nice.ch

wizard

Thank you for your help with this. My mouse is working much better now.

nuss

DON'T PANIC