I destroyed a printer so you don't have to.

Started by spitfire, July 21, 2022, 03:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paolo.bertolo

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on December 03, 2023, 03:43:09 AMI'll take a look around for the manual as I did not notice the missing section before :)

@Rob Blessin Black Hole : did you manage to check if the missing manual section is there?

From my side, I have thoroughly checked the fuser unit and everything seems to be OK. According to the service manual, there are some conditions which trigger the safety circuit, but proceeding without schematics is very difficult.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: paolo.bertolo on January 14, 2024, 02:54:14 AM@Rob Blessin Black Hole : did you manage to check if the missing manual section is there?

From my side, I have thoroughly checked the fuser unit and everything seems to be OK. According to the service manual, there are some conditions which trigger the safety circuit, but proceeding without schematics is very difficult.

Yes I ust double checked and unfortunately it is not . Also checked all of my NeXT service manual sets to see if it was misplaced and no luck so far. So I went on an internet search deep dive

Canon website has a legacy Printer manual section so I will try send a contact form enquiry to see if this is something they may have in a document arhive.

Also was able to find Apple Laserwriters manuals but they use a different printer engine  , a really nice page which may be of use to any one troubleshooting Laserwriters  https://www.vintageapple.org/laserwriter/

also found the HP laser Jet Manual Archive here https://archive.org/details/printermanual-hp-laserjet-family-quick-reference-service-guide-volume-ii ,

I  think their may be a lot of cross over between the NeXT laser and HP II Laserjet printers ie Ink Cartridge, engine

this will actually help me trouble shoot and repair my old Laser Jet 4Mp with Jet Direct card with a bad fuser  this was a great solution for Black Hardware , pc's and macs ,  never ending ink cartridges. If I get it working again it will save thousands of dollars in ink :) 

I have a NeXT laser parts printer here ,Paolo  if you cover shipping(or I have a Cube going to Italy this week with enough room for printer parts.)   
I would happily donate the Laser printer boards you need ...

My guess is you would you like a new old stock intake roller for $15, I'll take a chance and include one for you. :)

I think it has a good power supply as well . I needed the intake roller assembly, latching mechanism ,fusing section , logo and non ADB emulator chip off of the logic board. So I would have the power supply and logic board and probably have a fusing section where the thin nylon cord broke.

I'm shipping a NeXT Cube to a school in Italy this week so I'll just drop the printer parts in the box with a note for Maurizio about the spare NeXT printer parts..... sound good ?

Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

paolo.bertolo

Dear Rob, thanks a lot for your prompt feedback and for your very generous support, I sincerely appreciate it.
However, I now live in Japan, so there's no possibility to combine the shipment with the Cube on the way to Italy.

Anyhow, I am curious to see if Canon will ever reply to your inquiry, it would indeed be great!

My printer worked flawlessly until... the moment it decided to let me down.

I am now in the situation where it powers up and then a few instants later the safety relay is triggered and the current cut. According to the service manual, there are a few conditions which can trigger the safety circuit. Most typically, when a malfunctioning occurs in the heater, but in my case everything seems to be in working order. Else, some other fault condition may force the DC board to cut down the current.

As these symptoms are common to other "dead" Laser Printers, I suspect there must be something specific that fails after so many years (capacitors aside, of course).
I will keep on investigating the issue, if I won't be able to get anywhere I will surely revert back to you for some spares (in any case, I need an intake tray, mine is cracked).

I will post any progress on this thread, I hope we will find a fix.

Thanks again for your support!

spitfire

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on January 14, 2024, 06:06:37 PMAlso was able to find Apple Laserwriters manuals but they use a different printer engine  , a really nice page which may be of use to any one troubleshooting Laserwriters  https://www.vintageapple.org/laserwriter/

also found the HP laser Jet Manual Archive here https://archive.org/details/printermanual-hp-laserjet-family-quick-reference-service-guide-volume-ii ,

I  think their may be a lot of cross over between the NeXT laser and HP II Laserjet printers ie Ink Cartridge, engine

this will actually help me trouble shoot and repair my old Laser Jet 4Mp with Jet Direct card with a bad fuser  this was a great solution for Black Hardware , pc's and macs ,  never ending ink cartridges. If I get it working again it will save thousands of dollars in ink :) 

The only printer I've found with the same engine is the "NEC-Mitsubishi Silentwriter 2 990". As noted at the start of this thread both this printer and the NeXT use a Canon LBP-UX engine. This is very close to the Canon SX found in Apple laserwriters and HP laserjets, but not quite. Many parts are interchangable.