Main Menu

DOOM Pixel Art

Started by Nitro, February 21, 2023, 10:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nitro

As we approach the 30th anniversary of DOOM's release you'll probably be seeing more DOOM related content in the news.

Here's some DOOM pixel art from John Romero.

DOOM_pixel_art.jpg
Nitro

verdraith

Here's some interesting Doom-related content.

(possibly age restricted because of Imp butt)

Decino's disections of Doom mechanics are also interesting, but not everybody's cup of tea (unless you happen to care about knowing optimisations for the 386 that resulted in geometry being simplified to the point where explosions are actually cubes with infinite height or that somtimes due to linked-list reuse, explosion damage is applied twice to a monster :) )

--edit--
I'll add this for programmers... Doom's pseudo-random number generator seed is the player!
Lisp Hacker

Nitro

Just for the record, I may or may not have played DOOM on my employer's LAN shortly after the games release. :)

DOOM1-2.jpg
Nitro

Nitro

Quote from: verdraith on February 22, 2023, 10:11:53 AMHere's some interesting Doom-related content.

Bobby Prince did a great job of creating the sound effects for DOOM. I recognized a few of the sounds that were similar to those used in Duke Nukem 3D. Cool stuff.

Nitro

verdraith

And then there's that one door sound effect that's used everywhere... and that one 'whoosh' effect that's also used everywhere :D

When you're watching TV and you hear it... and you instantly come down with a sudden case of E1M1.
Lisp Hacker