Zsh 4.0.6 builds clean

Started by Ostrich, February 17, 2023, 08:02:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ostrich

I'm a total NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP noob so I don't know how to package and distribute software, so consider this an FYI. Zsh 4.0.6 builds with barely any modification on OPENSTEP 4.2 Intel.

Sadly 4.0.7 and 4.0.9 (and presumably newer, though I didn't try) won't build easily. I'm sure someone here could get them to, but that someone isn't me.

edit: And I realize now that this is the wrong section. Feel free to move this thread to "Porting New Software."

verdraith

Nice.  I've backported it to NS3.3, too :)

Quad-fat installer for NEXTSTEP 3.3 and higher available here:  https://github.com/Asmodai/NeXT-UnixKit/releases/download/v1.1/zsh-4.0.6.NIHS.bs.tar.gz

Caveat emptor:  GCC 2.5.8 doesn't support the `aligned` attribute on structures, but rather variables or structure fields.

I have moved the alignment to a temporary variable of `size_t`, so this should still work.  If problems are found, please tell me. 

I did the following test:
result=$((3.0/2.5))
and the result was `1.19999999999999996`, which rounds up to 1.2.  I'm putting this down to precision with double rather than an issue with zsh's heap with my gnarly hack.

If you run into any issues with this build, please let me know.

--edit--
I should be explicit:  the structure word alignment is used in zsh's heap, so that entries are big enough for double floating-point numbers.
Lisp Hacker