Does NeXTStep 2.0 run on NeXTstation Color?

Started by andreas_g, February 22, 2023, 03:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Town Computeum

Quote from: andreas_g on March 01, 2023, 12:07:18 AMThe memory layout of the non-Turbo NeXTstation Color makes this possible: 3 * 8 + 2.
Yes, that's exactly the RAM configuration that I have in this machine.

K-Town Computeum

Quote from: andreas_g on March 01, 2023, 12:07:18 AMI think this might also be the reason, that there are no revision 2.2 and 2.3 ROMs around. These might have supported the prototypes. The older 2.x ROMs only know monochrome systems and the newer ones only the final NeXTstation Color.

If we could find such an 2.2 or 2.3 ROM I could simulate the prototype NeXTstation in Previous.

Hm, if I recall correctly (I'm in the office right now) the ROM in my NeXTstation Color has a sticker on it that declares it to be a 2.2 ROM. But it seems somebody has written 2.4 by hand with a pen on the sticker and as you can see from the screenshot (see above) it actually is 2.4 (now).

I have two more Color NeXTstations. Once I'm back in my nerd cave, I'll check their ROMs.

andreas_g

Quote from: K-Town Computeum on March 01, 2023, 02:01:01 AMHm, if I recall correctly (I'm in the office right now) the ROM in my NeXTstation Color has a sticker on it that declares it to be a 2.2 ROM. But it seems somebody has written 2.4 by hand with a pen on the sticker and as you can see from the screenshot (see above) it actually is 2.4 (now).

Very interesting! If 2.2 and/or 2.3 ROMs have really worked with the prototypes (that is just my theory), we won't find them in a NeXTstation Color as they won't work with the final hardware. Probably we could find one in some old monochrome NeXTstation or 68040 Cube.

K-Town Computeum

Quote from: K-Town Computeum on March 01, 2023, 02:01:01 AMHm, if I recall correctly (I'm in the office right now) the ROM in my NeXTstation Color has a sticker on it that declares it to be a 2.2 ROM. But it seems somebody has written 2.4 by hand with a pen on the sticker and as you can see from the screenshot (see above) it actually is 2.4 (now).

Here's a picture of it:
Next_ROM_22.png

protocol7

I found this topic after trying unsuccessfully to boot 2.0 with Previous emulating a NeXTstation Color. Wasn't sure if it was a bug or error at my end.

Did you end up finding a 2.2 ROM? MAME has one in its NeXTstation BIOS archive. You can download it here.

It boots fine in Previous as a NeXTstation and NeXTstation Color.

andreas_g

Quote from: protocol7 on January 26, 2024, 06:30:02 AMDid you end up finding a 2.2 ROM? MAME has one in its NeXTstation BIOS archive. You can download it here.

Thank you very much! This works with the normal (non-prototype) NeXTstation Color. So it won't work with the prototypes. I guess there were none of those prototype ROMs in the wild.

SpaceRat2k

I do not wiling down grade and work/play for with stuff.

Space
2nd home is on Aitken basin, Darkside of the Moon

SpaceRat2k

I can now handle to down grade 2.X. I might even be able run it angainst 3.3 or 4.X ur choice. On two Different NextStations and Just got a Cube too. If needed

Mercì

Rob, to all on this site Meci Beaucoup

Space
2nd home is on Aitken basin, Darkside of the Moon