Why are some of the old NeXT Dimension and Color Cables Depined ?

Started by Rob Blessin Black Hole, February 24, 2023, 06:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello NeXT Community: I'm sure many of you wonder the same thing, you receive your NeXT and look at the Monitor Cable ...... I've lso seen some depining on DB19 to DB19 Cables and my thought on these is the only need 1 dedicated ground pin.

However for the 13W3 Connectors on Cables , many have the smaller 10 pins removed with only the 3 RGB pins remaining .... my guess is this was a recommended choice back in the day.... any one have a technical explaination?
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

barcher174

Usually you can just say cost. At volume pennies add up. In the case of the 13w3 there were multiple variants. Some of them could have the potential to cause damage if wired in. It was probably just safer to leave pins out if you didnt need them. Just a guess though.

TristinAEvans

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on February 24, 2023, 06:38:58 PMHello NeXT Community: I'm sure many of you wonder the same thing, you receive your NeXT and look at the Monitor Cable ...... I've lso seen some depining on DB19 to DB19 Cables and my thought on these is the only need 1 dedicated ground pin.

However for the 13W3 Connectors on Cables , many have the smaller 10 pins removed with only the 3 RGB pins remaining .... my guess is this was a recommended choice back in the day.... any one have a technical explaination?

I've been doing some reading in the old NeXTWORLD Magazines.

It may have something to do with the Turbo cubes & slabs outputting a higher 72hz signal, compared to the base 68hz singals. I read that it's only compatible with the N4000B & N4006 monitors.

The cables without pins are the 'older' variants while the newer ones have all of the pins on the 13W3 cable intact.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Quote from: TristinAEvans on November 28, 2023, 12:36:55 PMI've been doing some reading in the old NeXTWORLD Magazines.

It may have something to do with the Turbo cubes & slabs outputting a higher 72hz signal, compared to the base 68hz singals. I read that it's only compatible with the N4000B & N4006 monitors.

The cables without pins are the 'older' variants while the newer ones have all of the pins on the 13W3 cable intact.
There is actually a different Video Cable / part number for NeXT Turbo Color and Dimension board Y Cables and I think it has to do with Pin 7 carrying 5V power to support DB , here are the diagrams in Brian's ADB to NON ADB conversion.  Now I had heard about that in compatability due to 68Mh to 72Mh refresh but I have used 4000A with ADB sound card  and Philip's 17" Color Monitors on ADB systems :) It has been awhile so by default our custom video Y cables always have wired pin 7 as it makes them dual compatible. I'll have to poke around for an old FAQ , which issue of NeXT world as I'll check it out :)
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93