Kernel panic with optical drive

Started by hc105, March 25, 2023, 03:24:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hc105

I'm the one who was trying to reinstall from scratch my NeXT cube 68040 with NeXTSTEP 3.3.
I finally succeeded replacing my old HD with a BlueSCSI v2 cards (see my previous post).

So now, "everything" works, in the sense that my cube is now running NS3.3 with quite fast I/Os.
However, when I tried connecting the original Optical Drive, the system just paniced!
Anything I should add in the OS for avoiding this behavior or... the OD with NS3.3's simply cannot coexist ?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

paolo.bertolo

I have a 030 machine equipped with an optical drive, everything works fine.
Only issue is when I try to connect two OD drives, but it seems to be a well known issue.

hc105

When I put back my 68030 Mother Board with NS1.0, there's no problem with the OD.
I was wondering if there was a problem with NS3.3 (driver missing or unapropriate or incompatible or something else).

paolo.bertolo

I only have 030 board, so I can't confirm.

andreas_g

Quote from: hc105 on March 26, 2023, 03:52:14 AMWhen I put back my 68030 Mother Board with NS1.0, there's no problem with the OD.
I was wondering if there was a problem with NS3.3 (driver missing or unapropriate or incompatible or something else).

One should be careful comparing real hardware and simulated hardware, but in this case I am quite sure it is legitimate. There are no problems with a simulated optical drive and NeXTstep 3.3 when running on a simulated 68040 board (Previous).
Optical drives should work with any non-Turbo board and are supported by all versions of NeXTstep. There is even support for installing and booting OPENSTEP from an optical disk. I suspect there is something wrong with your CPU board or some connector.