Previous (NS Keyboard command key to Left Windows key)

Started by pTeK, May 31, 2023, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pTeK

Is it possible to swap the NeXT keyboard 'command' key to the windows key? At the moment I've got it swapped with 'Alt' like how NeXTSTEP(intel) is set up.

I guess the only reason why I would like the 'Alt' Keys alone is so I can do Greek/Symbols characters in the Edit app.

Running Previous 2.2 Linux (Lubuntu) version which I found somewhere on github.

Thanks

andreas_g

I'm not sure I understand what you need, but there is an option in the "Keyboard" panel: "Swap cmd and alt". I hope that  helps. Otherwise can you probably explain the issue a bit closer?

pTeK

Quote from: andreas_g on June 01, 2023, 02:11:38 AMI'm not sure I understand what you need, but there is an option in the "Keyboard" panel: "Swap cmd and alt". I hope that  helps. Otherwise can you probably explain the issue a bit closer?
That is what I'm using at the moment, I'm using the ALT key as the command key.

I was just wondering if it was possible to assign the Left Windows key as the command key.

Thanks

andreas_g

Quote from: pTeK on June 01, 2023, 10:20:45 PMThat is what I'm using at the moment, I'm using the ALT key as the command key.

I was just wondering if it was possible to assign the Left Windows key as the command key.

Thanks

Isn't that the case if you disable the "Swap cmd and alt" option? It should map the left and right "windows" keys to left and right command.

pTeK

Quote from: andreas_g on June 02, 2023, 12:45:05 AMIsn't that the case if you disable the "Swap cmd and alt" option? It should map the left and right "windows" keys to left and right command.
When it is set to default, when I use "left windows + e" it goes straight to Lubuntu and it opens up the File browser. My laptop has no "right windows"

andreas_g

Quote from: pTeK on June 03, 2023, 02:13:38 AMWhen it is set to default, when I use "left windows + e" it goes straight to Lubuntu and it opens up the File browser. My laptop has no "right windows"

Does that happen with all shortcuts or do some of them work, like for example ,,left windows + c" for copy?

pTeK

Quote from: andreas_g on June 03, 2023, 06:39:44 AMDoes that happen with all shortcuts or do some of them work, like for example ,,left windows + c" for copy?

None of the short cuts work with the windows key, tried to copy/cut then pasted some text in edit, and some of the other commands in the file browser.

andreas_g

Quote from: pTeK on June 03, 2023, 03:53:34 PMNone of the short cuts work with the windows key, tried to copy/cut then pasted some text in edit, and some of the other commands in the file browser.
I see. So the key down event is not or not correctly forwarded to Previous. I think the first step to fix this would be to update to the latest version of Previous (v2.8). I did make some changes to how modifier keys are handled in v2.7. There is a chance the issue was already fixed.

pTeK

Quote from: andreas_g on June 04, 2023, 12:22:25 AMI see. So the key down event is not or not correctly forwarded to Previous. I think the first step to fix this would be to update to the latest version of Previous (v2.8). I did make some changes to how modifier keys are handled in v2.7. There is a chance the issue was already fixed.
Yes you seem to be correct, the Windows key event must not be correctly forwarded to Previous.

I'm using Pitz's version from https://github.com/kernelcoredump/previous/releases
2.3 is a working compiled binary for x86_64 Lubuntu. I'll look around for a more recent release.

andreas_g

Quote from: pTeK on June 04, 2023, 02:32:44 AMYes you seem to be correct, the Windows key event must not be correctly forwarded to Previous.

I'm using Pitz's version from https://github.com/kernelcoredump/previous/releases
2.3 is a working compiled binary for x86_64 Lubuntu. I'll look around for a more recent release.

It should be quite easy to build your own version of Previous on Linux. Check out the building.previous.txt.