monitor differences for colorstation and turbo colorstation?

Started by nextchef, November 13, 2006, 03:29:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pergamon

Quote from: "nextchef"
Quote from: "Andreas"
Quote from: "nextchef"So did these systems come out before the 33mhz turbos as kind of an incremental step to add features?

Chef

No, these systems came out in the same time as the Turbos. Since NeXT haven't enough "old" machines they crippelt the Turbomachines with a slow CPU, the rest is the same than a turbo machine. It was cheaper as producing the old motherboard and the new one in the same time.

So released together just to flesh out the options list a bit, and keep a "low power" or economy offering to the lineup.

Chef

Something like that, yes.

The ADB/Turbo 25mhz stations are harder to find, but I am planning to sell a couple of the mono version if you're interested.

I'm not sure that a Color 25mhz Turbo ever existed.  It isn't mentioned in the NeXT FAQ, and I've never seen one, but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't exist.  Andreas, have you seen one or do you have documentation that one existed?

I suppose it is also possible that they made a 25mhz Turbo Cube board, but I've never heard of that either.  This one seems unlikely, though.

pergamon

Quote from: "nextchef"According to my cornerstone p1600 crt, they are both outputting 69hz.  Depending on how the monitor does the rounding, that is basically a 68hz signal from both systems connected to a nonADB soundbox, as Andreas noted.  This leaves some kind if sync issue then being the reason then, right?  I ran it some more with the lcd, and sometimes the picture will be stable for 10 or so seconds, and then it will start blinking again when the screen content changes.  Other times the screen will not be changing (like the login screen) and the lcd will be blinking on and off every second or so.  Will try a couple of more brands/models of lcd I have around to see if any others behave differently.

Well, I sit corrected.  If it isn't a different scan rate, then I don't know what it might be.  I'll do some experimentation when I have time to see if I can pin it down.

nextchef

Quote from: "pergamon"
Quote from: "nextchef"According to my cornerstone p1600 crt, they are both outputting 69hz.  Depending on how the monitor does the rounding, that is basically a 68hz signal from both systems connected to a nonADB soundbox, as Andreas noted.  This leaves some kind if sync issue then being the reason then, right?  I ran it some more with the lcd, and sometimes the picture will be stable for 10 or so seconds, and then it will start blinking again when the screen content changes.  Other times the screen will not be changing (like the login screen) and the lcd will be blinking on and off every second or so.  Will try a couple of more brands/models of lcd I have around to see if any others behave differently.

Well, I sit corrected.  If it isn't a different scan rate, then I don't know what it might be.  I'll do some experimentation when I have time to see if I can pin it down.

Nice theory though, wish it had panned out.

If I understand things that have been said, if I had an ADB soundbox, it would then output a 72hz signal to the monitor.  So does the non-ADB soundboard downconvert the 72hz signal from the turbo color, or is the slab "smart" enough to realise that it is connected to a non-ADB soundbox and change the signal it is sending?

More and more questions.

Chef

pergamon

Nice theory though, wish it had panned out.

If I understand things that have been said, if I had an ADB soundbox, it would then output a 72hz signal to the monitor.  So does the non-ADB soundboard downconvert the 72hz signal from the turbo color, or is the slab "smart" enough to realise that it is connected to a non-ADB soundbox and change the signal it is sending?

More and more questions.

Chef

The soundbox doesn't do anything with the video signal, so it must be on the station end.

Andreas

I'm not sure that a Color 25mhz Turbo ever existed.  It isn't mentioned in the NeXT FAQ, and I've never seen one, but that certainly doesn't mean they didn't exist.  Andreas, have you seen one or do you have documentation that one existed?

I own one, so i know that it must be exist :-).
(Would be nice to see a Pyro color slab with 128MB RAM)

nextchef

I was referring more in broad terms of the systems, not that specific, at least not yet ;)
My goal was to have one example of each type: cube, monostation, turbo monostation, colorstation, turbo colorstation.  I have 2 monostations, one colorstation, and one turbo colorstation currently.  How do you tell if the stations have the turbo chipset or not?

Chef

Just sniped a mono turbo off of ebay, so that is one more checked off the list :)
That is all the primary slabs, now need to save up for a cube.

Chef

Andreas

Just sniped a mono turbo off of ebay, so that is one more checked off the list :)
That is all the primary slabs, now need to save up for a cube.

If the seller would ship to europe i had also tried to bid, but damn, only america.

brams

Quote from: "nextchef"If I understand things that have been said, if I had an ADB soundbox, it would then output a 72hz signal to the monitor.  So does the non-ADB soundboard downconvert the 72hz signal from the turbo color, or is the slab "smart" enough to realise that it is connected to a non-ADB soundbox and change the signal it is sending?

More and more questions.

Chef

AFAIK connecting an ADB Soundbox to to a slab with an appropriate ROM and turbo chipset should make it output at 72hz, connecting a non ADB soundbox will then make it output at 68hz.  Dimensions output at 68hz regardless.

I once read that, if you have a non ADB Megapixel that you wanted to use with an ADB Slab that NeXT could tweak them for you, but in practise they work anyway, as mine does.
NeXTcube Turbo Dimension, NeXTstation Turbo Color, MP2100, Q840av, Q650, WS G4 500, Pismo G4 550, SGI Octane R12K MXE, BeBox 133.

da9000

Quote from: "brams"
Can you guys update this thread here with the monitors you know to work or not work.

I've listed a link that can help with Sync On Green vs not (not so much NeXT vs non-NeXT compatible, but oh well...):
http://www.nextcomputers.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=799

gtnicol

Quote from: pergamon on November 14, 2006, 04:53:38 PMThe ADB/Turbo 25mhz stations are harder to find, but I am planning to sell a couple of the mono version if you're interested.

I just ran across a 25Mhz CPU in what appear to be a Turbo Mono motherboard (same part number) and confirmed that it can take 128mb of memory.

pergamon

Quote from: gtnicol on June 24, 2023, 05:54:31 PMI just ran across a 25Mhz CPU in what appear to be a Turbo Mono motherboard (same part number) and confirmed that it can take 128mb of memory.
Yup!