3D Printed NeXTstation Case for a Cube Motherboard

Started by Nitro, July 06, 2023, 05:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtnicol

FWIW. Many CDROM/DVD drives work well in cubes with MO slots. A perfect one might have one MO drive, one CDROM drive *and* a floppy slot.

Nitro

I guess we can call this a CUBEstation. I created a quick mock-up of the lid. I haven't added the cutouts yet because things may change once the base is finalized.

NeXTstation_Lid.jpg

NeXTstation_Lid2.jpg

For those wondering what it would look like made out of birch.

NeXTstation_Lid3.jpg
Nitro

barcher174

Looks good! I'm envious of the patience/skill it requires to create these models.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Looks cool Nitro, another project may be to convert a gutted NeXT Laser printer case into an NeXT compatible hybrid 68K and intel based computer .  or use the Decklid from a NeXT laser as the top to a Cube Station :)
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93

Nitro

Quote from: barcher174 on July 20, 2023, 12:46:38 AMLooks good! I'm envious of the patience/skill it requires to create these models.

Thanks Brian. I'm envious of your electronics and PCB skills; I wish I could do both. I'll work on the base next and see how everything lays out. I took my multimeter and checked out a cube backplane just to get an idea of the connections between the power supply and the motherboard connector. The wiring diagrams on your ATX power supply page are very helpful.

Quote from: Rob Blessin Black Hole on July 20, 2023, 07:26:41 AMLooks cool Nitro, another project may be to convert a gutted NeXT Laser printer case into an NeXT compatible hybrid 68K and intel based computer .  or use the Decklid from a NeXT laser as the top to a Cube Station :)

Thanks Rob. It's interesting to think how we can breathe new life into 030 motherboards. Hope you're feeling better soon.

before.jpg

sweep.jpg

after.jpg
Nitro

Nitro

Quote from: pTeK on July 20, 2023, 11:52:59 PMSolid Works?

This model was created with Autodesk Inventor. I use SolidWorks too but I've been running Inventor for a lot longer.
Nitro