OpenStep on Abit IP35 Pro

Started by AP, September 21, 2023, 11:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pTeK

Quote from: AP on October 23, 2023, 02:14:21 PMBy the way, I used this driver.

EIDE and ATAPI Device Controller (v4.03)

From the driver floppy image.
Have you had any luck using the other EIDE driver?
Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (v4.03)
I don't know what driver is the best to use so I can't help you but a lot of tutorials seem to recommend the Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (v4.03) as this is the driver which has a dual devices on either the Primary/Secondary controller.

I read that you can not select both drivers (i.e you can not select both Primary/Secondary(Dual) EIDE/ATAPI Device Controller (v4.03) and EIDE and ATAPI Device Controller (v4.03) at the same time as they cause conflicts.

These drivers also get the Hard Drive size directly of the IDE Hard Drive and not from the BIOS.

Other users will give their recommendations.

In your BIOS is your SATA HDD set to IDE compatibility mode?

AP

In my BIOS the on board use was actually set to disabled.  Same with the SATA.

Actually I used that one, the primary/secondary.

AP

Hi.  I haven't got to this in a bit.  I was having graphics difficulty unrelated to NeXT.  Would this IDE card not be functional for NeXT?  It seems like most of you use the adaptec SCSI card.  I do not have SCSI devices to use, and my other OS(s) are already set up on IDE cards.  I guess I will try to do another floppy and go from there.  I had something else to say that I thought was worth it to try and ask again, but I forget already.

Apple2guy

IDE device under next only can address 8gb and that only supports up to PIO4 speeds. I get up to 36mb/s (40 is the max theoretical I can get)

With Ide I see at most 7.8mb/s (This is not using a PIIX ide controller, no DMA)
With a PIIX DMA Ide controller I have see about 20mb/s...

Scsi is just faster due to drivers...
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

pTeK

Quote from: AP on October 22, 2023, 06:12:29 PMI used oracle VirtualBox on a Mac.  I used the virtual IDE controller: PIIX4.

When using EIDE driver (4.03) on VirtualBox select PIIX3 as that is what the official update driver supports. It does not have "Auto Detect IDs" for the PIIX3PIIX4.

you can find the "Auto Detect IDS" by:
cd /usr/Devices/EIDE.config
more EIDE_PIIX.table

then compare the Device IDs on Device Id of 0x70108086 from file

EDIT: Had to update above to say that EIDE driver (4.03) does not support PIIX4 only supports PIIX3

AP

So I would be able to add the device ID for the Promise TX2 to the EIDE Driver?

With a CF card, it will probably be quite fast for the OS, even with the limited bandwidth?  Or am I wrong...

pTeK

Quote from: AP on December 18, 2023, 11:42:31 PMSo I would be able to add the device ID for the Promise TX2 to the EIDE Driver?

With a CF card, it will probably be quite fast for the OS, even with the limited bandwidth?  Or am I wrong...
No it does not work like this sadly. The source code for EIDE driver on user @evolver56k has the PIIX3 code, and inside the driver code after detecting certain IDs it then enables and sets certain flags. ICHX IDE driver is backwards compatible with the PIIX driver code but your Promise TX2 hardware will need a custom driver unless it can fall back on the IRQ 14,15 which is slowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww but at least you can get it working.

AP

Hmm, this is no good.  I don't have much in the way of SCSI.  I don't necessarily mind an HDD, but prefer not to.  And I don't have one anyway.

This IRQ resource thing, is this something I'd have to set up in BIOS, or is it automatic?

AP

Well I might just try to squeeze a 2940UW in there.  I have a Adaptec 29160?  Would that work?

SCSI cards are cheap, but I really don't want to use a mechanical HDD, and adapters for SCSI to any other protocol are expensive, and egregiously so.

EDIT:

I wasn't kidding.  Doing some research.  I can get a SCSI card for like 20 bucks.  Hard to find even a cheap mechanical drive (I'm sure I could find one locally), but I don't want to deal with possibly failing or noisy drives.  I'd splurge on a SCSI SD solution, but they seem rather slow.  Is 8-10 MB/s read/write fast for OpenStep?  If that is a good speed, should I go with ZuluSCSI or BlueSCSI, or try to find a SCSI2SD?

My board IDE is provided by a JMicron controller.  If my Promise card can fall back on those IRQs, how slow would it be?

What drivers are out there for IDE cards/controllers?  I went with the Promise card because I was setting up BeOS and they have a driver for it.  They also have a generic replacement driver.  The 2940UW is also supported by BeOS.

I apologize if that is an obnoxious amount of questions.

EDIT 2:

I really think I prefer to use the Promise card, if I can make the attempt.  How would I go about doing that?  I think I am OK with slower speeds.  I only have 3 pci slots to work with, 1 with IDE card, 1 with sound card, and 1 with Ethernet card. (Unless there is a pci-e x4 or x1 ethernet card I can use).

Any chance of me using developers' tools on a VM or some other method to write a driver for the promise card?  Any possibility to port a driver?

pTeK

Quote from: AP on December 20, 2023, 09:46:42 PMHmm, this is no good.  I don't have much in the way of SCSI.  I don't necessarily mind an HDD, but prefer not to.  And I don't have one anyway.

This IRQ resource thing, is this something I'd have to set up in BIOS, or is it automatic?
The IRQ is part of the ATA standard as it allows coding drivers and supporting hardware a lot easier here is a page on OSDev which gives more details.
Quote from: AP on December 21, 2023, 12:04:30 PMWell I might just try to squeeze a 2940UW in there.  I have a Adaptec 29160?  Would that work?

SCSI cards are cheap, but I really don't want to use a mechanical HDD, and adapters for SCSI to any other protocol are expensive, and egregiously so.

EDIT:

I wasn't kidding.  Doing some research.  I can get a SCSI card for like 20 bucks.  Hard to find even a cheap mechanical drive (I'm sure I could find one locally), but I don't want to deal with possibly failing or noisy drives.  I'd splurge on a SCSI SD solution, but they seem rather slow.  Is 8-10 MB/s read/write fast for OpenStep?  If that is a good speed, should I go with ZuluSCSI or BlueSCSI, or try to find a SCSI2SD?

My board IDE is provided by a JMicron controller.  If my Promise card can fall back on those IRQs, how slow would it be?

What drivers are out there for IDE cards/controllers?  I went with the Promise card because I was setting up BeOS and they have a driver for it.  They also have a generic replacement driver.  The 2940UW is also supported by BeOS.

I apologize if that is an obnoxious amount of questions.

EDIT 2:

I really think I prefer to use the Promise card, if I can make the attempt.  How would I go about doing that?  I think I am OK with slower speeds.  I only have 3 pci slots to work with, 1 with IDE card, 1 with sound card, and 1 with Ethernet card. (Unless there is a pci-e x4 or x1 ethernet card I can use).

Any chance of me using developers' tools on a VM or some other method to write a driver for the promise card?  Any possibility to port a driver?
All the users on here who have OpenStep working buy the proper hardware that has working drivers. My hardware sadly isn't working and supported so I have to try a lot harder, i.e using a Grub2 bootloader on a USB stick and modifying the 2.44MB disk driver with working drivers, I use Grub2 with memdisk/syslinux.

I'm using the developer's tools on VirtualBox to try to create a driver, I was happy that I managed to make a config/bundle which recognized my PCI "AutoDetect" ID's. (In otherwords, a PCI Hello World driver) I've been meaning to type up the basic HTML of my notes for a tutorial so that other developers can hit the ground running. The problem with my PCIHelloWorldDriver was that it was still not detecting my hardware at install time when the install program loads my basic driver  :'(

EDIT 23:DEC:2023 0759: There is source code in OpenStep for a Adaptec 1542B in Driverkit for OS42. If you download the datasheet pdfs for this hardware and your Adaptec 29160 and see how much of a overlap there is.

The source code for EIDE driver provided for Apple requires you to also download the packages for driverkit and kernal to get it to compile but the only IDE hardware they support is Intel PIIX3,PIIX2 and the generic IDE compatibility which is through IRQs 14 and 15.

Apple2guy

Adaptec 29160, 2940U2W, 131U2 will not work with Openstep/Nextstep
What does work for pci Adaptec cards is the 2940, 2940UW, 2940UW pro.
These are the cards I have tested.
Core i7 2600 | Adaptec 2940UW Pro | SMC 9332 Fast Ethernet 10/100 Adapter | Sound Blaster 16 PCI | Nvidia Geforce 1050TI | Openstep 4.2

Nitro

The Adaptec AHA-2930C also works with the 2940 driver; however the AHA-2930CU does not.
Nitro

AP

OK.  I'll go for generic IDE with IRQ 14/15.  If it doesn't work out, then I'll hold off until I can incorporate SCSI into my setup.

I'll let you all know if it works out with the IDE, but if not there will be quite a delay in the project.  In the meantime, thank you all for your answers.  :)