How to create a transparent window programatically with AppKit

Started by xuhao394, October 04, 2023, 02:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xuhao394

I'm running OpenStep 4.2 on VMware and I tried to write some simple programs on it. One thing I failed to implement is to draw a line like the dragging line (the line shown when you hold control and connect objects) in InterfaceBuilder. Stack Overflow suggests that we should create a transparent window and draw the line in it (which supposed to work on macOS), so I tried to create the window with commands below:
win = [[NSWindow alloc] initWithContentRect:NSMakeRect(30,30,64,32) styleMask:NSBorderlessWindowMask backing:NSBackingStoreBuffered defer:YES];
[win setBackgroundColor:[NSColor clearColor]];
[win setContentView:dummyView];
[win makeKeyAndOrderFront:self];
Where dummyView is a simple NSView subclass that draws a yellow border on the view, and draws a "Hello world" string on it.
I thought this would give me a transparent window with a yellow border, however when it runs the transparent part appeared in black (see the picture).
Is there anything wrong with such usage? If there is no way to create a transparent window in NeXTSTEP, how can I do the same thing as InterfaceBuilder does? Thank you.

nuss

Here is an example from the book "NeXTSTEP Programming Part 1":

NXSetRect(&graphicsRect, 100.0, 350.0, 400.0, 400.0);

myWindow = [ [Window alloc]
    initContent: &graphicsRect
    style: NX_TITLEDSTYLE
    backing: NX_BUFFERED
    buttonMask: NX_MINIATURIZEBUTTONMASK
    defer: NO];

[myWindow setTitle:"Tiny Application Window"];
[myWindow display];

myView = [ [View alloc] initFrame: &graphicsRect];
[myView setOpaque: YES];
[myWindow setContentView: myView];
[myWindow makeKeyAndOrderFront: nil];

So my assumption (can not test atm) is that you can set `[myView setOpaque: NO];` to achieve transparency.
DON'T PANIC

xuhao394

Quote from: nuss on October 04, 2023, 06:29:51 AMHere is an example from the book "NeXTSTEP Programming Part 1":
So my assumption (can not test atm) is that you can set `[myView setOpaque: NO];` to achieve transparency.
Thanks for your advice, but unfortunately neither NSView nor NSWindow responds to `setOpaque:` message. Additionally I've found the text below in OpenStep 4.2 documentation:
QuoteWhen it's created, an NSWindow automatically creates two NSViews: An opaque frame view (...) and a transparent content view (...) The frame view and its peripheral elements are private objects that your application can't access directly.
From this passage I guess we can't make an NSWindow transparent, because we can't make its "frame view" transparent :(
Maybe subclassing NSWindow will work, but how to make frame view transparent is still undocumented.
Or maybe IB is actually using some undocumented APIs to do the trick...?

mlroider

Try creating 2 windows 1 or 2 pixel wide one horizontal one vertical... I think that is how it was done in IB...