NFS woes - can cd into directory but not browse in file viewer

Started by Shiunbird, November 28, 2023, 04:13:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiunbird

Hi folks,

I was very happy with a near daily-drive routine with nextstep 3.3 on my HP 712.

I was connecting via serial to my FreeBSD box and from there I could run git and other tools of trade and keep using the productivity apps on NS. Both mounting same NFS storage from my truenas box. So, for example, I could edit code (both for my dayjob and for retro projects) on NS, save files and quickly do a git commit on my freebsd box.

Something happened a while ago (or I did something stupid) but now when I have mounted (either via mount or NFSManager) my truenas box, I can well go into the terminal, and browse the mounted path no problem with that. I can also run textedit for example, from the terminal, and open and modify files in the mounted directory.

However, if I browse there on the File Viewer, I can see and modify files in the root folder of the path I have mounted, and all subfolders are shown with that translucid icon and I can't open them, no permissions.

As a troubleshooting step, I chmod 777 everything and then it works ok, but this is not a viable solution. Why would I be able, from the same user, cd into a folder from the terminal but the same permissions would not allow the File Viewer to open the path?

Any suggestions?

Thanks, as always.

Rob Blessin Black Hole

Hello Shunbird: This should help you step through and trouble shoot intricate and complex networking set up.  You can also reset the Netinfo database from scratch following step by step how to found on the NeXT Network and Systems Administration Manual https://www.nextcomputers.org/NeXTfiles/Docs/NeXTStep/3.3/nsa/

When the root files are translucent across a network , you would have to login as root and give permission for the files under the inspector. It sounds like you are networked with a Free BSD box and the issue is not pinging the folders but accessing them.  NeXT has Read , Write and Execute for the wheel group and other. I know NeXT sysadmins guarded root access and so they would set up Users then individual User Accounts using Simple Network Starter and User Manager App . The Advantage here is it allowed individual users to have hierarchical level of permissions to access. Example the CEO has access to practically everything , the Sys Admin was basically in God mode lol all knowing guru , entry level sales and secretary etc had very limited access so like you are describing non accessible folders and it may be NeXT set permissions we're certain critical ROOT files were not accessible over the network ......

(or I did something stupid) hence permissions , the stupidist thing I remember as a NeXT newby being hazed event, it was a cruel April fool as I recall .... executing the rm -r in Terminal (NEVER EVER DO rm -r ) when I realized what was happening , I pulled the plug out of the damn wall as the bloody thing was wiping out everything in my USER DIRECTORY . Fortunately the system admin had a back up, I was pissed . 

That command is used by sys admins to wipe directories clean.   Make a back up first and following the system Administration Manual Step by step is really cool . Also I know before networking always set a password for root...... from a clean NeXTSTEP User install, do this from setting the password in the first screen by clicking the Calendar ICON , then setting a password for Me . Logout now you will have a login screen , Login as root with no password , and set a password for root the same way .  If you don't have a password for root before networking all hell breaks loose. Hope that helps. 
Rob Blessin President computerpowwow ebay  [email protected] http://www.blackholeinc.com
303-741-9998 Serving the NeXT Community  since 2/9/93